www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.
www.firebladeriders.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well it all sorta started standard like...

+7
clevermonkey
JT
cabbie
wes
lambchops
clive1286
89forever
11 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 4 Empty Re: Well it all sorta started standard like...

Post by 89forever Tue 11 Mar 2014, 20:29

Thanks guys, she is all road legal now flew through the MOT on Monday and taxed her last night... small niggly things to sort, there is a little bit too much slack in the quick action throttle that needs to be reduced.
The grip on the throttle needs to be stuck on as that tries to rotate but it is so nice to be able to get full throttle in 1 wrist movement.
brakes need bedding in again and the tyres need scrubbing in...

but the important bit is OMG she picks up far quicker than before... and is soooooo linear in her delivery.
Could say I am chuffed to bits lol
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Number of posts : 117
Male Age : 51
My bike(s) : RRW
Registration date : 2013-03-02

Back to top Go down

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 4 Empty Re: Well it all sorta started standard like...

Post by clive1286 Tue 11 Mar 2014, 20:49

Great job 89. Great feeling when all your hard work comes together clap 
Hairspray works really well for sticking handlebar grips, saves buying expensive
glue
clive1286
clive1286
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 496
Male Age : 63
My bike(s) : cbr900rrw. cb1000r
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops Tue 11 Mar 2014, 21:05

Nice one 89 bet its great to ride her again Smile You've taken long enough!  love
lambchops
lambchops

Number of posts : 1178
Male Age : 52
My bike(s) : 98 Blade
Registration date : 2012-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Wed 12 Mar 2014, 01:40

clive1286 wrote:Great job 89. Great feeling when all your hard work comes together clap 
Hairspray works really well for sticking handlebar grips, saves buying expensive
glue

hahaha and what a pratt i'll look going to buy some, nature gave me a permanent haircut years ago lol....

on the plus side I have glue at work that will suffice

Last edited by 89forever on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 01:44; edited 1 time in total
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Wed 12 Mar 2014, 01:43

lambchops wrote:Nice one 89 bet its great to ride her again Smile You've taken long enough!  love

it could have taken longer lol, came off the road in June last year...
as much as I hate the paintwork condition it can wait until the end of summer to be honest, as can the fork upgrade...
but the rear sets need doing as they proper look shit lol
why oh why did they put bloody chrome on them....???
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Fri 14 Mar 2014, 23:09

Small things make the biggest difference... for those that have been following this blog may remember that that I strongly believe that chrome has no place on a sports bike and that has been a driving force on getting bits changed/remade/repainted etc along the way.

Well the rear chain adjusters have been a constant niggle, there is nothing on the planet that I could find that allowed me to change these things, I didn't want to paint them...

so what was the outcome? being knee deep in work I took the lazy option and chucked the original adjusters at Pete at Ti64 with the instruction of make from 7075 aluminium and give them the best corrosion protection possible and oh, please make them look awesome...

then fast forward a day and a brain wave emerged that now was a good time to add some detail to the adjuster that would enable me to better lift the bike with my paddock stand so I hunted and liked the look of the MotoGP hooks, so I threw an image Pete's way and said make it so...

He came back and said he had a CNC guy he uses but expect a wait... so I waited...

and waited....

and waited some more!!!!

and eventually I offered some money and waited...

and then a parcel arrived...

with these inside

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 4 Alloy-chain-tensioners-and-stnd-hooks_zpscde0b106

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 4 Alloy-stand-hook_zps5a89bf21

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 4 Alloy-chain-tensioner-gradations_zps75ca098e

Tomorrow (Saturday) is fitting day, could say I am happy that they are exactly as I wanted and the look I am after, and thank fully no chrome...
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Sat 15 Mar 2014, 12:05

So today was a fitting day....
I took the inspiration from Lambchops, he is a good egg really so I can't take any credit for this idea but once a seed is sowed the mind explores the possibilities...
So with the idea that the newer CBR1000RR has a lighter sideside 1 was duly purchased and it's weight was checked against the old item
old
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 4 2014-03-15-217_zps6e674da1
new
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 4 2014-03-15-218_zps1fe7e8db
so, just under half the weight
and then then mounting bracket
old
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 4 2014-03-15-219_zps275f05f4
new
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 4 2014-03-15-220_zps9f405f85
so again a small saving which will actually get lighter in a moment lol...
so on fitting to the bike, it all bolted up, the stand itself is slightly longer than the RRW item but it works perfectly, the bike is held more upright (no idea if this will cause a problem, time will tell lol) but it is still lent over sufficiently...
On the CBR1000RR mounting bracket there is a small threaded boss which is not needed on the RRW, this needs to be ground off as it prevents the gear linkage from fitting, sadly I am at home and all my tools are at work so no grinding until Monday, the neighbours will be pleased!!!
fitted
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 4 2014-03-15-223_zpsd53203e5
and clearance issue with the boss
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 4 2014-03-15-222_zps7e48534f

So with the old one put back on for now it was time to address the rear chain adjusters.
I think with all the weight removed I am allowed to add a little bit of weight, comparing the old adjuster to the new ones with the paddock stand hooks, the new ones are about 30 grams each heavier so I think I can live with that lol...
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 4 2014-03-15-226_zpsfebdc954
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 4 2014-03-15-227_zps2548dbeb
Now I just need to modify my paddock stand to have bobbin pins on the ends and they will work a treat. I realise I won't be able to remove the wheel with the new hooks but I have other plans for that aspect of maintenance.
Another project ticked off the list.
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4