www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.
www.firebladeriders.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Standard Build

3 posters

Go down

New Standard Build Empty New Standard Build

Post by jmacdwlr Wed 20 Jun 2012, 12:48

Hi hope no one minds just starting a rebuild of one of my standard blades and wanted to open a thread to go through it step by step as much for my benefit as anyone needing info. Not done one before so any mistakes or any advice (such as dont put that on first cause it makes putting this on a bas*ard) is much appreciated. If this is the wrong place to put this as its mainly custom projects or streetfighters please let me know where to move it.

Step 0
Sorting through piles of bits to see what I actually have for this build lol
New Standard Build 2New Standard Build 6New Standard Build 4New Standard Build 7
As you can see carefully stored :-)

Step 1
sorting out nuts and fittings for swing arm and checking swing arm bearings and seals. just checked for nice even and free movement in all bearings and checked the outer seals to make sure there was no perishing removed the seals on the offchance and treated with rubber treatment and greased bearings before replacing seals. Then working out the order of spacers and that I needed a castle nut tool (ordered of turbosuzuki on ebay very helpful chap with quick delivery)
New Standard Build 10
I then installed the swing arm.
New Standard Build 9

Step 2
Getting back wheel on, again checked bearings and seals didnt like feel of bearings on one side so replaced both bearings and seals with Koyo which I believe is not a bad make. Again greased up well then treated the cush drive with that rubber treatment and fitted into the hub.
New Standard Build 11New Standard Build 12

Step 3
Next step was attaching rear sprocket and rear brake disc dont know if people agree but personally always use threadlock on these bolts as with most on a build.
New Standard Build 13New Standard Build 14

Step 4
Getting the back wheel in now have to admit here I was a complete spanner having not done one of these before and spent a fair while taking apart the adjusters:
New Standard Build 17
On previous bike they butted directly against the swingarm it was only after stripping and 15mins of pondering my numpty self noticed the holes in the back of swing arm that they screw into. Then it was just getting the rear caliper mounting into position and bobs our uncle another step down.
New Standard Build 20
Step 5
You will notice I missed a bit as the yoke is already on apologies for this wasnt planning on writing this up till I realised what a pain it was and could find very few guides from start to finish. Anyway Yoke bearings were all knackered was a nightmare trying to get the lower mounting off the yoke lots of wd40 and a pry bar thankfully no damage to yoke if anyone can advise me of a better way would be much appreciated. Getting the inner races out was easy went and brought a slim tyre lever which clips nicely into place and just medium knocks moving the lever round to get it to come out evenly. New bearings and seals in and brought again the tool off turbosuzuki to be able to torque up the head correctly.

Last edited by jmacdwlr on Thu 21 Jun 2012, 13:23; edited 16 times in total
jmacdwlr
jmacdwlr
Trackday Novice

Number of posts : 119
Male Age : 46
My bike(s) : 1998 RRW
Registration date : 2011-04-04

Back to top Go down

New Standard Build Empty Re: New Standard Build

Post by lambchops Wed 20 Jun 2012, 13:56

great idea for a thread will be watching with interest. But...... we need pictures!!!
lambchops
lambchops

Number of posts : 1178
Male Age : 52
My bike(s) : 98 Blade
Registration date : 2012-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jmacdwlr Thu 21 Jun 2012, 13:47

Step 6
Again sorry for lack of any pictures next step was to get front end in. Dust seals on forks were perished to hell and oil seal was weaping slightly on the right hand fork so first step was a strip down. Fairly easy process just time consuming to make sure no mistakes are made. Fashioned a seal tool to push components back into place out of an old Vax tube but if someone was doing this I would recommend getting the proper fork tool.
Forks rebuilt time to build front wheel up ready again bearings shagged so put matching Koyo ones in the front. For this I purchased the sealey blind extractor this time as I have many more to do and must admit was worth every penny and a doddle to use.
After replacing and greasing up well next came the front discs putting in the old bolts to attach them had probs getting a couple of them in after inspection realised they were a bit chewed. Popped into local stainless supplier and purchased a complete set of new ones along with clutch and generator case bolts as noticed some of these had done a disappearing act. On tightening discs I am sure everyone knows but have always been told to tighten up each bolt one turn at a time to get them sitting as evenly as possible.
Discs on time to attach onto forks very easy process get forks through bottom yoke plate slide on clip-ons and push through top yoke getting them to sit as flushly as possible tightening up a pinch bolt on either side to hold in place then going round rest of bolts.

Step 7
getting the engine in unfortunately dont have any hoist facilities so put the engine on an old school moto x platform and picked the bike up and lowered over the engine. Biggest problem I faced here was not putting the mountings in right order.
New Standard Build 26
I thought it was mounting 2 that was first:
New Standard Build 21
and spent a fair while struggling to get this one or 3 or 4 in, however looking at what was catching it was mounting 1 :
New Standard Build 23
After struggling still taking the weight of the bike while working this out thought it a bright idea to balance front wheel on large tin of paint to take the balance (yes i know daft my excuse was being knackered lol) result was:
New Standard Build 24
As soon as I got mount 1 in place the rest swung up nicely into place and was easily attached long lesson but least I know for next time.

Step 8
Not being overly sure what to do at the moment as subframe is in the engineers so wasnt sure whether to start putting wiring in place or coils/carbs etc. So wimped out on the basics and just tightened clip-ons and put foot pegs into place. Clip-ons not really worth explaining if even I can work out just just match them up with the locator pin and tighten up pinch bolts:
New Standard Build 32
Footpegs only advice is to make sure your gear lever is held up before you put on the side stand so unlike me you dont have to take it back off again to lift it :-)
New Standard Build 28

Step 9
not sure what best plan is next as I said above getting wiring in/calipers on/coils carbs on, any advice with this that makes life easier or just give it a go?
jmacdwlr
jmacdwlr
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by andydd7 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 03:37

My Mrs is still looking for that tupperware :-) Good luck with the build mate
andydd7
andydd7
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 22
Male Age : 54
My bike(s) : Bikeless :-(
Registration date : 2012-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jmacdwlr Fri 20 Jul 2012, 07:49

lol mate bless her hope life treating you well in sunnier climates :-) its getting there hoping to finish it today
jmacdwlr
jmacdwlr
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jul 2012, 08:48

Good thread this Jamie. Nice one!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jmacdwlr Fri 20 Jul 2012, 08:57

cheers al is only a rough draft at the moment needs lots adding to it such as put the damn expansion tank in before the shock or engine learnt that one the hard way but will be updating over the next week with more odds and sods just a mention not sure if there is anywhere specific to add it on the site but after a lot of searching came accross the most helpful breakers ever and good prices http://www.hills-bikes.co.uk/?utm_source=hillsmotors&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=sitelink very nice people there and a well laid out site
jmacdwlr
jmacdwlr
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by andydd7 Sun 22 Jul 2012, 16:37

Its a hard life mate but I would only feel guilty if I left and made somebody else do it...... Laughing did u get the V5?
[img]New Standard Build 7622468824_d9df7a5e24 2012-05-06 11.35.252 by andydd7, on Flickr[/img]
andydd7
andydd7
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 22
Male Age : 54
My bike(s) : Bikeless :-(
Registration date : 2012-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jmacdwlr Sun 22 Jul 2012, 20:33

jammy sod :-) fair play to you mate mate and yes came through good as gold and had her running like a dream on friday as well just got to put bodywork on now and she is away :-)
jmacdwlr
jmacdwlr
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down