www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.
www.firebladeriders.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up

5 posters

Go down

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up Empty RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up

Post by rammy Sat 05 Dec 2009, 16:17

Starting this conversion this month, if anybody else is thinking about it pm me as i managed to get hold of nearly 2 full front ends so one will have to go on the bay in the next week or so!

Post some pics of developments as they happen.

Simon
rammy
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 253
Male Age : 50
My bike(s) : CBR600rr track bike
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Back to top Go down

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up Empty Re: RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up

Post by Guest Sat 05 Dec 2009, 17:48

Hope yer gonna do plenty of pix on yer write up mate?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up Empty Its been a while but ive started!!!!!

Post by rammy Thu 13 May 2010, 18:33

Come to a dead end with bikes working on for ebay so started a bit of work on the blade today. sorry no pics as im a computer dunce and it wont let me attach (files to large).

Good clean, back wheel out and bearing checked, back cog swapped and gold rear caliper stuck on to replace old grime coverd one. Got 2 old rrw REAR calipers for sale now! and a mint back wheel that i didnt need in the end (amazing what cleaning will do!!)

All back plastics off down to just subframe, got a 929 unit sat on to see how much/little work is required. Looks good a couple of adjustments and it doesnt look like a bad fit. next is trimming the old rear undertray and seeing about extending wires to stick it all in the rear end out of the way. Wouldnt mind chucking battery in there either anybody done this? Not sure how the front stuff will fit but not got that far yet.

posted a few pics on photobucket

https://s357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/simonrammy/Fireblade%20RRW%20rebuild%20file/

Off down to unit to see what i can get done before tea!

Any help/input/pictures/links of other projects please feel free to comment.

Simon
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up Empty Re: RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up

Post by Guest Thu 13 May 2010, 18:42

Hey, Simon ya lazy sod. Just copy the IMG code off photobucket and paste it into ya post. Keep pix n info coming. Are you gonna graft the 929 tail n subby onto the RRW subby?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rammy Thu 13 May 2010, 19:31

No ive got a 929 track bike rear end and it sits over pretty well. got to have a proper look and was hoping for some inspiration from you lot!!!

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 006

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 010

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 012
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by rammy Thu 13 May 2010, 19:34

Ahhh it works cheers Mr Watt

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 007

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 008

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 009

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 011

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 013

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 014

Theres no stopping me now!!!!!!!
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by rammy Thu 13 May 2010, 19:36

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 013

Told my boy to stay away from that rear end!!!!!
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 May 2010, 19:39

Keep them pix and info coming mate. Gonna change mine next winter!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rammy Thu 13 May 2010, 19:43

Has anyone fitted a push button starter in the ignition barrel hole??? Thinking about it what ya reckon?
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 May 2010, 19:59

Good idea, I moved my ignition to near the throttle adjuster under the tank. A mate has a remote starter on his CBR600?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rammy Thu 13 May 2010, 21:58

The one thing that is getting me a litttle frustrated are those exhaust studs. Proper stuck in tried heat/soaking in lube ect and no give just about to grind and drill/ retap, but before i do anybody used any good extractors recently? and i think im going to have to buy a cheap tapping set also (lent mine out and its done one)

Did a bit more tonight hacked away at the original undertray and i think i will use it (well whats left) got a issue with the rear light and needing to find some nice shaped indicators to meld with the 954 rear led i have got. Will post some pics up in the light of day!

Front ends next, is there a link to a decent sussy set up oil/spring ratio chart thingy???? Got a few sets of front forks so best will go on after a refresh but rest are up for grabs if any takers? even got a dmaged set that need a little attention!

Keeping an eye out for rear sets as i let the gillies ones go due to lack of funds and being to lazy to start the project, kicking myself now!

While im on a roll i would like to get it to pass an mot with lights but was thinking of projection jobbies out of a fzr 400 (old project) sunk into the front of the 929 headcowl. anybody gone down this route? Must surf the dvla for minimum requirement for mot these days.

righto off to get the chain gunk off me hands
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fringe Thu 13 May 2010, 22:12

This might help th MOT lights Q's.

http://www.ukmot.com/bike_index.asp

also, I'd love to take a set of 'as good as poss' 929 front end off ya but I dont think my finances will run to it right now. how much would you be wanting?

Cant wait for some piccys. hyper hyper
Fringe
Fringe
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1036
Male Age : 59
My bike(s) : Fightered RRS
Registration date : 2007-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by rammy Thu 13 May 2010, 22:22

Let me see which set i stick on the bike and then ill know.

The forks dont seem to be the expensive item at the mo, the wheels go silly money at times and can be hard to get hold of in good condition. usually 150 plus for a wheel 140 plus for forks dependant on condition, 50 plus for yokes, 90 plus for calipers 30 plus for clip ons 100 plus for discs in good nick 20 for a spindle so it adds up. depends on how quick u want it loads come up and sometimes you can bag a bargain. I di over pay for some of my stuff (should never keep looking on ebay after you have bought them!!!!)

Thanks for the link on mot stuff. will post some pics up of the carnage as soon as i get some progress.

Simon
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fringe Thu 13 May 2010, 22:29

I think I'll stick with my standard front end for now. Until I win the lottery! rofl
Fringe
Fringe
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1036
Male Age : 59
My bike(s) : Fightered RRS
Registration date : 2007-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by rammy Thu 13 May 2010, 22:38

lol, have a dig on ebay mate, especially the funny timed ones ending at dinner and late on. Plenty of misspellret items 2 lol
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 May 2010, 08:02

To get the zorst studs out, heat head up near stud with a narrow point gas torch, then use plumbers freeze spray, then mole grips. Keep repeating until you can wriggle stud loose, nice and slow, both ways. If you shear stud off , grind it flat , centre punch stud and drill with 6mm drill. Remove handle off a file and use the 4 sided file tang hammered into hole to turn stud slowly out. Or if all else fails TIG weld the stud. .
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by reeseyboy Fri 14 May 2010, 16:31

Sykes Pickavant stud extractor is the daddy for this kind of thing. Plenty of Plusgas over a couple of days then get the extractor on the studs; Bob's your mother's brother!
reeseyboy
reeseyboy
Superstock Racer

Number of posts : 207
Male Age : 51
My bike(s) : 2009 CB1000R - Sword Silver
Registration date : 2009-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by reeseyboy Fri 14 May 2010, 16:34

megawatt wrote:To get the zorst studs out, heat head up near stud with a narrow point gas torch, then use plumbers freeze spray, then mole grips. Keep repeating until you can wriggle stud loose, nice and slow, both ways. If you shear stud off , grind it flat , centre punch stud and drill with 6mm drill. Remove handle off a file and use the 4 sided file tang hammered into hole to turn stud slowly out. Or if all else fails TIG weld the stud. .

If you end up having to drill them out make sure you are dead centre when you drill. The tapping size for an M8 stud is 6.8mm. You don't want to helicoil the stud holes if you can really help it.
reeseyboy
reeseyboy
Superstock Racer

Number of posts : 207
Male Age : 51
My bike(s) : 2009 CB1000R - Sword Silver
Registration date : 2009-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by rammy Fri 14 May 2010, 22:25

Cheers Reesey will keep that in mind. Managed to free a couple more today so half way there.

Trimmed the underseat plastics today rough for now till im close enough to start the final cuts. Looks like once ive set the leds into the tail section with a set of indicators it wont need much more than a joining strip to finish it.
Found a second rear end unit in the garge today (954 race rear) It has caused me to stop and have another look. The one pictured fits around the original subframe with two very small cuts to the subframe end on an angle. But offering up the 954 unit does involve quite a bit of hacking although it does have a sharper profile to the rear. Just not sure its worth the extra work!

Got the front removed and ready to sort the new front end (soon as i get some fresh bearings and cups and the pesky exhaust studs removed) The bottom bearing i first though was smothered in copper grease but it turned out it was just rusty grease :(

Hacked the rear footpeg down in a temp measure to hold the new exhaust system to be fitted. Although i like the idea of using as much of the old bike as poss so may rub and polish this up?

Still on the look out for some 954 rearsets or aftermarket jobbies at a bargain price.

Thats it for now hope to get the exhaust rad and front end on next week. Fingers crossed.

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 001

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 002

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 003

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 004

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 005

The wheel and discs above are for sale, 280 is what i paid so want to get as close as poss to that, sticking on ebay this weekend.

Cheers

Simon
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by rammy Mon 17 May 2010, 22:35

Done a few more bits tonight, Pics below.

The undertray is back in place and temp brackets sorted to keep new rear end in place. Taped the led light in to get an idea on placement and how much work needs to be done to it. Would like to get some tear shaped flashers and make them hug the shape of the brake light but not seen anything that shape.

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up Rrw1

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up Rrw13

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up Rrw14

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up Rrw17

Seat fits nicely and with an addition to the side to make it follow the curve of the 929 rear it shouldnt look to shabby. Bit more hacking of the subframe to resite the electrics haging down in the pic but ran out of time tonight!!!!
Not sure about the flat racing foam seat though? work on that one me thinks.

Just need to fill the hole in the bottom of the tray find some suitable flashers and decide where to stick em and glass up the rear to make it mot'able.

On the plus side the exhaust studs came out eventually and the bearing races popped out no trouble. Just some bearings, gaskets and a little time and i can start to stick the front back on.

Anybody fitted a 929/954 front fairing to an rrw before?
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaiser Tue 18 May 2010, 08:48

Nice job mate Smile
Kaiser
Kaiser
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 4491
Male Age : 42
My bike(s) : HM Plant RR10, RR8 Race bike, HM Plant RR7 and a nice rotavated garden!
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by rammy Wed 19 May 2010, 22:13

Few bits done today, im ona roll but tomorrow got injectors to fix on the Pathfinder so aint getting much else done for a few days. Ordered some exhaust gaskets, head bearings and won a set of hrp rear sets on flea bay so hopefully everything will arrive for a bit of a push on sunday. The bearings had had their day a tad rusty on bottom set!

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 013-1

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 012-1

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 011-1

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 010-1

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 003-1

Seat nearly done melted it into shape and now just needs filling in and flaps sticking/riveting/melting on side. Rec will sit behind rear covers as on rrw just needed a slight alteration to subframe.

Fitted up new exhaust to see how it looks.

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 002-1

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 001-2

Just got a set of headlights off a rr7 anybody fitted modern headlamps into a race fairing before? Any links pics tips would be good before i get busy with the jigsaw and fibreglass!!!

Thats it for now

Simon
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by rammy Tue 15 Jun 2010, 20:19

Its been a while, and im mid garage swap but got a few bits done.

Had a mare with a bearing supplier online, first set didnt turn up second set were faulty gave up and went to dealers for third set...... sorted.
RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 001-2-1

Got some nice new harris rear sets kinda fitted (just need the alloy bar to turn up so i can change gear)

New set of pro lite discs also arrived.

Exhaust is fitted and sounds great

New rad is on with a bit of pipe jiggery pokery

Need a front tyre to stick on for testing so checking ebay at the mo. Gonna buy a new set once its mot'd ect.

Will take some pics once ive moved over
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by rammy Tue 15 Jun 2010, 20:20

Arghhhh terrible pic sorry :(
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up Empty pics

Post by rammy Tue 15 Jun 2010, 22:24

Not the final position and im wondering if i should chop the hangers down?

RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 001-1
RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 002-2
RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 004-1
RRW front cnversion to 929/new rear end / poss under seat exhaust and tidy up 005-1
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Jun 2010, 07:21

Think those rearsets will look great when they are the same colour all over mate? Oh, and buy some nice, shiney stainless bolts???
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rammy Wed 16 Jun 2010, 10:18

Just want it running this summer mate, strip down coatings and bolt replacement for this winter.

Gonna look like a bit of a dog but as long as she runs well.......and past 120mph its dificult to check out the stainless!!!!!!
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Teebagga Sun 20 Jun 2010, 07:55

Hey good work, are ya rearsets still comfy having them that far back?
Teebagga
Teebagga
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 47
Male Age : 42
My bike(s) : 95 Fireblade
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by rammy Sun 20 Jun 2010, 10:14

Thats my main concern, feels like a duke when i sit on her. Front wheel has no tyre so gonna stick one on and have a tootle see how it feels otherwise ill bring em forward max. If still too extreme will chop the loverly harris brackets Mr Watt sold me!!!

Still got to sort a new gear bar as mine and the supplied one are short. Once thats in ready to have a go. Works been slow due to moving garages and trying to flog my overstock garage too. Hopefully next few weeks will see some movement.

Simon
rammy
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down