www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.
www.firebladeriders.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well it all sorta started standard like...

+7
clevermonkey
JT
cabbie
wes
lambchops
clive1286
89forever
11 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 Empty Re: Well it all sorta started standard like...

Post by Tone Sun 28 Jul 2013, 10:04

I run carbon wheels and ISR brakes on mine and the difference to handling is phenomenal, they've been on the bike for a couple of years now with no ill effects whatsoever.

Also I am pretty sure that they will do them in black if you asked nicely.Laughing

Heres a pic of my set up.
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 FinishedlowRes1_zpsa2f8c662
Tone
Tone
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 495
Male Age : 123
My bike(s) : 1992 CBR900RR-N; 1998 RVF400
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 Empty Re: Well it all sorta started standard like...

Post by 89forever Sun 28 Jul 2013, 11:45

lambchops wrote:Wow great read 89 love those spindles truly amazing quality and so light! Wish I could afford some myself.. One day maybe when the numbers come up Smile

LC, thank you and yes I am stoked about the quality. For what they are I don't think they are expensive and I did say you don't need to feed the kids for a week Wink lol
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Number of posts : 117
Male Age : 51
My bike(s) : RRW
Registration date : 2013-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Sun 28 Jul 2013, 11:56

Tone wrote:I run carbon wheels and ISR brakes on mine and the difference to handling is phenomenal, they've been on the bike for a couple of years now with no ill effects whatsoever.

Also I am pretty sure that they will do them in black if you asked nicely.Laughing 

def food for thought cheers off for a hunt

even if ISR didn't do them black they soon would be as everything comes to bits and can be anodised thumbup
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Sat 31 Aug 2013, 19:39

(blows the dust off the thread..........................)

time for an update me thinks?
No pics today guys this is a verbal one, well everything that has been out of my control has taken far longer than I liked but oh well there is always next summer (the UK can get 2 good summers in a row can we not??????? or is that wishful thinking?)
I think before I go further I need to do a sanity check and discuss what this has cost to get this engine rebuilt to what I would call an OE+ spec, some improvements have not cost me a thing, some have been a bit deep but I am happy and content with the prices and I put them here for others to make their own mind up should they wish to venture down the path I have done.
The choice of path's I "could" have taken were endless but this was my path.
So what have I done?
Cylinder head has been machined to improve flow through the ports, all new stem seals.
Guides were perfect and measured to spec.
Deck face was again perfect.
Valves all measured within spec and cleaned up and reseated to recut seats.
New carb to inlet rubbers smoothed to match the ports.
Cam sprockets lightened and mounting holes slotted to allow the cams to be dialled in.
Cams have had casting nubs ground away to lighten and remove drag.
All new tappet shims (supplied by Hotcams)
Cost £531.00

4x 0.25mm oversize genuine pistons weight matched to within 0.02g
Cost £268.00

4x genuine piston ring set
Cost £236.00

Dynamically balance crank, rods, pistons and lighten flywheel. I had machined the crank to improve the knife edging on the webs as previously stated further up the thread.
Rods have been balanced end to end.
Cost £171.00

Machining the cylinder block was the biggest chunk to swallow, bearing in mind that only 0.25mm was removed from each cylinder, giving a total of 1mm of material removed. It makes it an expensive bloody 1mm.
I have had the block honed to size rather than machine cut as this method was preferred because of the material specs and finally it has been plateau honed so it is as bedded in from the get go.
Cost £382.00

Sundries, everything of doubt or what I classed as a service item has been replaced. So all new hoses, all bearings, cam chain and tensioner etc etc. I kept saying if in doubt, replace. Without the help of a great company whom I found within the USA this would have been twice if I bought all this in the UK.
Cost £835.00

So if you total it all up I could have bought nearly 2 RRW blades for what the engine will have cost but I will have a better than factory brand new engine to hopefully give me many miles of smiles. Am I mad?
I hope to start actually putting this all together and yes there will be pics oh and I haven't been totally not doing anything, I refurbished my water radiator and fan assembly as they were looking a bit skanky and am looking at getting a home plating kit so I can replate (zinc/nickel) all the bolts, brackets etc that I want to reuse.
Oh and as I hate the wrist action on the throttle I have also bought a quick action throttle and kill switch assembly which should hopefully give me the throttle I want...

So guys, please feel free to comment, ridicule or just call me stupid.... but be nice hahaha as you may not get anymore pics lol
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Sat 07 Sep 2013, 19:06

Was it something I said? has my project left you all dumbstruck? I'll carry on rambling away then hahahaha

Well yesterday finally saw the arrival of all the parts I sent for dynamically balancing... so with a fresh nights sleep and a clear weekend ahead of me today was rebuild day...

Started early doors to gap the rings, I find it a laborious tedium of a job so no pics but all rings ended up smack bang in the middle of the tolerance range.

So with that out of the way and all oil clearances checked it was time to start putting stuff together...

My lovely freshly plateau honed cylinders

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-09-07-024_zps09cbd3ef

and a close up... almost good enough to lick

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-09-07-025_zps5773daf4

As a side note, prior to any assembly all parts were thoroughly washed in hot soapy water to remove and residual grit or media from machining or vapour blasting, I spent an age working my way through the oil galleries (well not me personally as I am too big but you know what I mean!!!)

Bearings oiled

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-09-07-028_zpsb504f00d

Crank in

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-09-07-027_zps76b65d8c

pistons and rods torqued up

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-09-07-030_zpsd6895103

lower case and gearbox assembled

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-09-07-029_zpsb1bc84e5

The eagle eyed may notice that the case are bolted together with the original fixings but I have ordered all new fixings but they haven't arrived yet but they can be swapped out later so not a hold up.

and right way up to check rotation and as hoped it is silky smooth and am smiling loads

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-09-07-031_zps2f56e14d

Well that was 8 hours well spent today and tomorrow sees more go together so check back for another update... unless the world ends as that will be all that stops me now!!!
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Tone Sat 07 Sep 2013, 21:16

Looking good squire, How much weight did you lose off the crank in the end?
Tone
Tone
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Sat 07 Sep 2013, 21:25

Tone wrote:Looking good squire, How much weight did you lose off the crank in the end?
Many thanks... prior to balancing, the crank weighed 800g's less but even when statically balancing the pistons rods etc that removed a couple of grams also so all in all I have removed some mass from the reciprocating mass and as one supermarket in the UK states "every little helps" dance
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Tone Sun 08 Sep 2013, 10:14

You'll certainly notice the difference, it'll spin up like a demon and you'll only have to breath on the starter button to get it started in the morning!
Tone
Tone
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Sun 08 Sep 2013, 19:43

Tone wrote:You'll certainly notice the difference, it'll spin up like a demon and you'll only have to breath on the starter button to get it started in the morning!
I hope so, time will tell!!!

anyway what happened today? well the world didn't end so that must mean some more bike stuff...
So, valves all assembled
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-09-08-032_zpsea96ed6f

shimmed up
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 IMG-20130908-WA0001_1_zps5f99749e
/\ I just noticed that this pic is from the strip down, but it shows the shims in so it stays lol

head gasket on, goodbye pistons... be awesome
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-09-08-037_zps1fd26513

head on and torqued down
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-09-08-038_zps168810bc

cams in
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-09-08-039_zpse891f569
(bloody things)

and nicely all timed up
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-09-08-043_zpsb9d90d9f

and to make me smile at days end I couldn't resist putting the cam cover on after bead blasting it a while ago and repainting, it looks black in the image but it has a slight brown tinge to it which I thought got as close to what the original one was painted.
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-09-08-043_zpsb9d90d9f

So a bit closer to it being back in in the frame but another good days work.
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Mon 06 Jan 2014, 19:10

Wow, never realised I haven't updated here for a while, thought I had...
off to stand in the corner with a D cap on...

so what have I done ?

all of it
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Mon 06 Jan 2014, 19:11

In other news, you know how when you look at something and it just doesn't sit right in your mind... Well al the way through the build I kept looking at the oil cooler (sits behind the oil filter and screws to the block btw lol) and despite it looking super clean one thing bugged me about it. The moment when I got it back from the vapour blasting guy (cheers Phil for the endless sleepless nights about this thing) he said (and I quote) "did the engine have an issue as there was an awful lot of metal that came out of that thing"
and that bugged me, further aided by the fact it is now full of tiny glass media from the vapour blasting and no amounts of it going through the spin cycle in the washing machine AND dishwasher on high heat is getting it sitting right in my mind....

So my conclusion to this?

It's in the bin................. (with a nice new one on order from the good old guys at Partzilla

I think I need therapy, now where's my Titanium widget to stroke?
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Mon 06 Jan 2014, 19:20

Pete at Ti64 has been a little busy with some detail stuff for me....
You may remember that I had the front and rear spindles made by him? anyway I went to fit them and I didn't like the spacers and adjusters, etc.
So he made me some new front spindle clamp bolts, rear adjusters, a new washer that lives under the rear spindle nut all out of Titanium and he has made but not finished the spacers and spindle adjusters out of 7075 aluminium (which will be Surteck coated (similar to anodising but better (so I am told lol) ) but I don't have pics of them.
doesn't look but it was costly lol
as ever Pete has done a sterling job and am very proud to have his work on my bike but there are plenty more bolts and things to replace yet lol... (although looking back through my thread there isn't really)
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 Titanium-bolts_zpsc2620c41
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 Titanium-chain-tensioner-bolt_zpscb657475

Struggled to find Titanium circlips so had to settle on stainless steel items for now, just waiting on the new chain adjusters to land, I have designed them to have a hook as on the GP bikes so my paddock stand slots into these rather than under the swingarm.
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Mon 06 Jan 2014, 19:25

about a year ago I purchased a quick action throttle made by RobbyMoto from these guys
http://www.moto46.co.uk/
I bought the complete kit for my bike, including the cables.
I went to fit it one evening and couldn't get the inner cables short enough to get it to work, so disgusted I threw it at the back of the cupboard and sulked, however I still had it in my mind that I want to use the thing.
One other thing stopped me was that it didn't allow the use of the kill or starter switch which pushed it further towards the back of the cupboard. Which was a shame as it was really nicely made.
Anyway fast forward a year and with the bike being in bits and the cupboard being empty I saw it sat there, so I investigated why I couldn't get it to work. I spoke to the people there and they assured me I had the correct cables etc and I mentioned that I didn't like the fact I couldn't use the original switch gear, to which they said, you do know we offer a replacement switch... so I bought one of them (last one at the time they had in the UK) and was again pleased with the quality, what I wasn't pleased with was instead of it being supplied with a wiring diagram they suggested I take it to bits!!! anyway...
Well last night I tackled it all again and I must have had a eureka moment as I figured out that I didn't have the push cable in the correct hole on the throttle cam and well, it only bloody works.... and I can now get full throttle in 1 wrist movement...
Tomorrow night I'll add some pics once I've finished the rewiring....

for reference the page where it's all listed is here, not cheap but it is good...
http://www.moto46.co.uk/quick-action-throttles.html

I was not impressed with the companies response on request for a wiring diagram, they insisted that I should take the switch to bits to sort it myself, not an issue really but bad product support IMHO

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-10-12-131_1_zps42f4b033

Not the best image I admit but how else can I should a reduced action throttle? lol but the new switch gear is fitted here also
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Mon 06 Jan 2014, 19:34

So I was bored at work and set to on mocking up for a new fairing brace. I want to route the brace from the clock mount and up the inside of the fairing so it is hidden from view to really clean up and modernise it a bit more.
I made the mirror mounts to mimic the originals from 316 stainless.
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-09-20-076_zpse07474ae
and then started on roughly bending some thin walled 12mm 316 stainless for it to be as light as possible. Sadly I have no aluminium available as that would have been preferred.
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-09-20-079_zps79d48b9f
and then had it through the bodyshop to be painted and then fitted
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-10-13-148_zpsa56e106f
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Mon 06 Jan 2014, 19:37

I got the headers mounted at the weekend and the rest of the coolant hoses buttoned up. Talking of coolant. I have 4L of waterless coolant coming from these guys Evans Waterless Engine Coolants
I have used water wetter in race engines for years (buy obviously can't use that stuff on a road engine) and was happened across this stuff on some or other forum. Totally replaces the water element from the equation. Now, ignoring the sales bumfth I like the fact that it is sealed for life, there is no corrosion possibilities (inside my engine was a mess from corrosion and I had to replace parts as they were fecked) and when the engine is up to temperature this stuff remains at the same expansion rate as when cold, so the system isn't pressurised the way it is when water is used, so no cyclic expansion and contraction of parts so seals and hoses theoretically will have a prolonged life. Not cheap but then what isn't these days...
Luckily as everything is new or clean and dry in the engine I don't have to use the prep fluid to remove all the old traces of coolant... have a read guys and opinions welcome, but I am sold!!!
I have also decided to update the coils in the ignition circuit and have a set of COP coils arriving with a loom I can butcher and adapt to the bike, so less weight again and a far better spark. So can tick that off the list.
At the moment I have my rear wheel off as I am remaking the chain adjusters and incorporating some paddock stand hooks as on he MotoGP bikes as I don't like my paddock stand attaching under the swingarm, it doesn't scratch as it is protected but it still isn't how I want it. So with the wheel off I ordered a Supersprox ally/steel combo sprocket too
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-10-31-157_zpsf8c25b06
and then put the cush drive through the cleaner lol
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-11-02-167_zpsda373813
and fitted
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-11-02-168_zpsca3f0975
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Mon 06 Jan 2014, 19:45

So this arrived also, doesn't taste very nice so got it into the bike as quick as...
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-11-02-172_zps1525b24b
and then decided to do an update to the coils and went Coil On Plug
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2013-11-02-170_zps77657026
and then this was my version of the wiring, I claim no ownership of the image but did update it to show the correct wiring colours specific to my year bike, others may vary
Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 COPdiag_zps1e82d985
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Mon 06 Jan 2014, 19:48

and that I think brings me up to date except to say

got a smile bigger than a smiley thing from a place called Smile Town

Very Happy

just need some better weather and then off to the dyno...
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops Mon 06 Jan 2014, 21:45

Oh she runs!! Where's the running vid though? Come on Smile
lambchops
lambchops

Number of posts : 1178
Male Age : 52
My bike(s) : 98 Blade
Registration date : 2012-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Mon 06 Jan 2014, 21:55

lambchops wrote:Oh she runs!! Where's the running vid though? Come on Smile

lol, was only a quick run, haven't got any heat into her yet... jury rigged a small tank above the carbs as was having coil issues so wanted to make sure she ran before getting the airbox and tank on... ran out of time tonight, so will finish the wiring tomorrow and then will do a small vid for you LC (not that sort, you pervy lot)
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops Mon 06 Jan 2014, 23:21

haha, looking forward to it Smile
lambchops
lambchops

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Tue 07 Jan 2014, 21:22

Well wiring is finished and she runs as intended, the other half even did a little dance, although secretly I think it's because she thinks the dining room will be returned to household duties, I personally think the Ducati will look awesome being built in there).
No video yet as I want to get all the fairings on and outside...
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Mon 03 Mar 2014, 21:25

today is all about the numbers and todays number is 137 (or 119 at the wheel), and maybe 3 letters to add to it, those letters being b h p.... not bad for a 16 year old RRW, admittedly with a zero miles freshly built and tweaked engine hahaha...

now off to get a seat made... then I can finally ride it (well after MOT and tax), geez the list never ends lol
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops Mon 03 Mar 2014, 22:41

did the coil pack mod work out ok?

great numbers bet you cant wait to ride her, oh and test that cowl brace Smile
lambchops
lambchops

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Tue 04 Mar 2014, 16:27

lambchops wrote:did the coil pack mod work out ok?

great numbers bet you cant wait to ride her, oh and test that cowl brace Smile

coil mods worked perfectly, well they must have as nothing was said and the bike produced what it did and I never sent the dyno my olds one lol...
No, cannot wait to ride but I need to remake the seat and am off with her in a van on Saturday to my local trimmers for the seat to be remade, then I can MOT and TAX then it is a case of testing the fairing brace (as someone keeps going on about the bloody thing hahaha  tongue )
and then...............

and then...............

etc, etc (it never bloody ends, and then I may actually start building my Ducati haha)
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Tue 04 Mar 2014, 20:40

She arrived home safe and sound and just had to get all the fairings on, will drag her back out tomorrow evening (weather permitting) so I can wash and polish her.

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 DSC_0006_zpsc9e6c13d

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 DSC_0002_zps1d133c01

Going to be a long wait for the seat, as I want to ride lol
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by masterblader Tue 04 Mar 2014, 20:57

Transmission loss 18bhp is huge. You running with a knackered chain or what??
masterblader
masterblader
The Blade Guru
The Blade Guru

Number of posts : 5392
Male Age : 79
My bike(s) : RRS, CB500 2 X NC29
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Tue 04 Mar 2014, 21:17

masterblader wrote:Transmission loss 18bhp is huge. You running with a knackered chain or what??

nope, he had the losses listed at 15% so by my simple math it arrived at as stated...
I'll ignore the knackered comment as clearly everything is fucked on the bike  tongueout
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by 89forever Sat 08 Mar 2014, 16:50

and on to todays update...

Today was all about the seat...

I discovered a very local guy who would be what I would describe as a proper old school craftsman, nothing fancy or flash about the workshop he was in, but reeked of that aroma that good quality interiors have... and he was bloody good so even more of a bonus.

I took the bike down to him first thing this morning expecting to leave it with Steve at http://www.coachtrimmer.co.uk/ and collect it next weekend but on arrival he said he could address the issue very quickly today, so who was I to argue, I didn't even need to get the bike out of the van... Shame as I had made a fantastic ramp (work does have it's uses lol)  to get the bike in there

So, the old cover was removed, a new piece of foam attached and smoothed, the old foam had a few nics and chunks missing from a previous attempt of mine to sort the seat issue but Steve said he would sort that but adding a piece of smoothing foam over the whole foam pad.

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 2014-03-08-213_zps52118a41

new piece of foam is the black bit.

A bit over an hour later I was on my way back home with the seat complete and Steve was able to reuse the original seat cover and tweak that so it still looked factory and matched my rear seat.

I couldn't have wished for a nicer guy to help. Top man and a true craftsman.

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 DSC_0009_zps06561e66

Back home, fitted and you can see where the old part was rubbing the tank, hence why I needed to sort it prior to paint, the seat now has a consistent gap all around and no rubbing of any sort....

and whilst she was outside and the sun was shining, she had a wash and a polish from all the accumulated dust and gunge from the rebuild and dyno session.

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 DSC_0008_zps2be8db89

Well it all sorta started standard like... - Page 3 DSC_0010_zpse51aee56

and because everybody is all about the videos at the moment I thought I would do a small sound bite... nothing as exciting as Lambchops but she runs and sounds awesome (well I think so hahaha)

https://youtu.be/lgsxFuueojA

So, onto addressing the leaking forks (may just service them for now), get her MOT'd and taxed and then....

whatever comes next lol

In other news, I am still awaiting the machined parts for my rear sets and chain adjusters and paintwork
89forever
89forever
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Tone Sat 08 Mar 2014, 21:02

Top job young man  thumbup
Tone
Tone
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by scotty80 Sun 09 Mar 2014, 19:17

looks good mate  thumbup
scotty80
scotty80
Website/Forum Owner
Website/Forum Owner

Number of posts : 846
Male Age : 43
My bike(s) : 97 rrv
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next