www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.
www.firebladeriders.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My 94 Streetfighter Project

+28
helrazzer
danidge
Deathace
gothy
grim1
morgs887
rapid777
macca
bladaz
fastbikefinder
stuart
yammydave
Haggler ®™
mr pie
Fringe
yantosh
cabbie
J.J.
wild bill
alz4321
skidd1
1992fireblade
alsieboy
cbr9rrnut
bazza
radiobloke
shadow
griz
32 posters

Page 16 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next

Go down

My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Empty Re: My 94 Streetfighter Project

Post by Deathace Thu 07 May 2009, 10:52

You are slowly getting there griz have you decided on paint for the panels yet I think a nice high gloss black tank and a black to deep red blend on the tail section would look awesome.

keep it coming

Russ
Deathace
Deathace
WSB Racer

Number of posts : 509
Male Age : 49
My bike(s) : 2008 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by griz Thu 07 May 2009, 22:50

Thanks yet again guys for your comments! thumbup

As for the paint & colours etc, I am all but out of funds & it looks like I'll be hand painting it out of a can! So for the mean time I'll be painting it matt black & putting on a couple of stickers I got for it & later on when I can/ the wife can Laughing afford it, I'll sort the paint job out properly...
griz
griz
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1928
Male Age : 54
My bike(s) : 93 Blade Streetfighter & a 96 Engineless Blade, soon to become 1 & a 95 GPZ1100 Grand tourer which is looking for a new home! lol
Registration date : 2007-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by fastbikefinder Fri 08 May 2009, 00:40

Griz, did u want the tank matt black? or were you going to get some air brushing/effects on the tank?
fastbikefinder
fastbikefinder
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 4582
Male Age : 46
My bike(s) : Trek VX with suspenders & Specialized Hemi
Registration date : 2007-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post by griz Fri 08 May 2009, 16:05

fastbikefinder wrote:Griz, did u want the tank matt black? or were you going to get some air brushing/effects on the tank?

No I would have liked a fancy marble effect paint job I've had my eye on but it's way to much, on from that I may have gone with a gloss black with some art work. But I'll settle for me painting it matt black with a couple of punished stickers. Matt black is pretty easy to get a nice ish finish so it'll have to do until I can afford better. I feel abit like I've fallen at the last herdal but what can ya do eh!....
griz
griz
MotoGP Legend

My bike(s) : 93 Blade Streetfighter & a 96 Engineless Blade, soon to become 1 & a 95 GPZ1100 Grand tourer which is looking for a new home! lol

Back to top Go down

Post by yammydave Fri 08 May 2009, 20:58

Having to compromise is always a downer.
Consolation has to be that once you are actually riding it, there will be somethings that don't seem quite right, that had you finished it as intended, you'd be kicking yourself over.
Repainting as you'd like once funds allow will be an opportunity to right any wrongs.
yammydave
yammydave
WSB Racer

Number of posts : 653
Male Age : 63
My bike(s) : CBR900RRS, CBR900RRP, CB750/900F
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by fastbikefinder Fri 08 May 2009, 22:24

Griz, how about glossing it your self?

The best way to get the very deepest and shiniest possible gloss black finish is to laquer matt black! and then give it a light cherry or maroon tinted laquer over that lot and it'll look well in keeping with the rest of the bike
fastbikefinder
fastbikefinder
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by griz Fri 08 May 2009, 23:31

yammydave wrote:Having to compromise is always a downer.
Consolation has to be that once you are actually riding it, there will be somethings that don't seem quite right, that had you finished it as intended, you'd be kicking yourself over.
Repainting as you'd like once funds allow will be an opportunity to right any wrongs.

Yep I get it how I want in eventually!

fastbikefinder wrote:Griz, how about glossing it your self?

The best way to get the very deepest and shiniest possible gloss black finish is to laquer matt black! and then give it a light cherry or maroon tinted laquer over that lot and it'll look well in keeping with the rest of the bike

Yeah I hear you matey, the matt finish is quick & straight forward but avoiding getting a milky finish when doing the laquar can be a real pain! + at £6 a can of paint it soon starts adding up & at the rate I'm going I'm just going to be able to afford to tax & mot it + my insurance is up for renewal the middle of next month too.

I would like to buy a goodish airbrush, compressor & spray air gun & do it all myself after a bit of practice but that will have to wait until my funds recover or should I say my wifes funds Laughing
griz
griz
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Fringe Sat 09 May 2009, 18:01

Mrs Griz sounds like a Streetfighter builders Dream.
Good luck with the spraying.
more pix please. Smile
Fringe
Fringe
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1036
Male Age : 59
My bike(s) : Fightered RRS
Registration date : 2007-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by griz Sat 09 May 2009, 23:18

Fringe wrote:Mrs Griz sounds like a Streetfighter builders Dream.
Good luck with the spraying.
more pix please. Smile

Yep your right there matey! She's been brilliant & will even come out into the garage to lend a helping hand when I need it, she gives me her opinion on a job I'm doing if I'm not sure of how it looks & on top of all of that she even brings me a cup of tea once in a while hubba Laughing

Thanks mate, I'll try get some posted up when I'm a litle further down the line, I've been going loads of prep work as late so there's not much to see to be honest...
griz
griz
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by griz Mon 11 May 2009, 23:26

Hi all, after much thinking & sitting on the bike trying different positions for the clock setup to be mounted I've gone against my idea of mounting it all on the tank as it would spoil the lines of the tank plus I'd rather have the safer option of having the clock's higher up where it's safer to observe whilst riding, it would be cool to have it mounted/moulded into the tank but for everyday riding it's not a safe option I think.

So I'm now in the process of making a small carbon fibre case which I'll be mounting on the handlebars.

This is my first go at using carbon fibre so there's been alot of a learning going on Laughing

I first of all made up a box to hold all the dials out of fibreglass
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Guageholderprogress

Then coated it with carbonfibre & gave it a coat of resin
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Guageholderprogress2
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Guageholderprogress3

I made up & applied way to much resin that went to waste & then it took me a age to remove all the excess dried resin to regain the shape, I also found that the carbon fibre & resin gives a much thinner coat than I thought it would & over sized the holes for the dials, so I wasn't at all happy with the top cover & then decided I would use the lower case section (I think it's nicer to look at with all the nice smooth rounded edges anyway)

Here's the old & new to show you what I mean
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Guageholderprogress4
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Guageholderprogress5

Here it is now after alot of rubbing down & anothger coat of resin, I'll do the same again tomorrow as it's still not as smooth as I want it
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Guageholderprogress6

Just got to make a bottom plate for it now which I should be able to finish off tomorrow
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Guageholderprogress8
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Guageholderprogress9
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Guageholderprogress10
griz
griz
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbie Mon 11 May 2009, 23:45

Very impressive mate, amazing for a first go!
cabbie
cabbie
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 2139
Male Age : 61
My bike(s) : fireblade
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by fastbikefinder Mon 11 May 2009, 23:57

Glad you've tried the CF Griz it's great stuff.
fastbikefinder
fastbikefinder
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by yammydave Tue 12 May 2009, 07:47

That certainly looks more the part now buddy.

I've always been a bit shy of having a go with the fibreglass and carbon fibre, after my fishpond waterfall not going very smoothly.
With the waterfall there was not a need for a perfect finish, so figured I'd avoid it with the bikes.

However you seem to be getting to grips with it alright Griz and I'll probably have to bite the bullet with fairing modifications on my next project anyway.

What are your first impression as a new user to carbon fibre?

Is the carbon as a woven matting much more user-friendly than the glass; which always seems to want to clump together when I use it?

Does the carbon bond to the glass fibre or have you then released the glass fibre from it?
yammydave
yammydave
WSB Racer

Number of posts : 653
Male Age : 63
My bike(s) : CBR900RRS, CBR900RRP, CB750/900F
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by grim1 Tue 12 May 2009, 09:48

I know exactly what you mean YD.I had similar issues with fibreglass when i modified my seat{badly}I found that if i laid the mat down on the area i wanted it,and then i added resin on top.I had a right mare by covering mat with resin and then trying to pick it up.Looks like Griz has sussed it out though.Nice job Griz.Its a shame that you have decided to bolt it on bars though and not carry on with moulding it in somewhere as it may just appear as just another" bolt on"modification?and not so bespoke?Just my thoughts mate,i definitely do not possess the skills you have mate.Keep up the good work. thumbup
grim1
grim1
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 272
My bike(s) : rrp 1993
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Fringe Tue 12 May 2009, 10:12

That Carbon's gonna look Kool.
Some times mouldin stuff in is ok but Raw Fighter is also about havin stuff where its most useful.
I laff when I see an unrideable bike , coz the pegs/bars/clocks are tooo 'out of the way'.
Or, Like them Chops with really long forks that need a 40 point turn to turn in the street !
Dunno if that makes sence.............
Keep goin Griz.... Its bound to be right n if ya dont like it, Change it! ya got the skills clap happyahh
Fringe
Fringe
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1036
My bike(s) : Fightered RRS
Registration date : 2007-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by 1992fireblade Tue 12 May 2009, 18:10

Looking good griz!
1992fireblade
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1633
My bike(s) : Triumph Bonneville America
Registration date : 2007-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by danidge Tue 12 May 2009, 19:30

You are SOOO talented, I wish i had the skill and knowledge to do something like this. maybe one day tho eh? Razz
danidge
danidge
MotoGP Rider

Number of posts : 913
Male Age : 34
My bike(s) : cbr900rr urban tiger - sold now have an awesome RR4
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by griz Tue 12 May 2009, 22:21

yammydave wrote:That certainly looks more the part now buddy.

I've always been a bit shy of having a go with the fibreglass and carbon fibre, after my fishpond waterfall not going very smoothly.
With the waterfall there was not a need for a perfect finish, so figured I'd avoid it with the bikes.

However you seem to be getting to grips with it alright Griz and I'll probably have to bite the bullet with fairing modifications on my next project anyway.

What are your first impression as a new user to carbon fibre?

Is the carbon as a woven matting much more user-friendly than the glass; which always seems to want to clump together when I use it?

Does the carbon bond to the glass fibre or have you then released the glass fibre from it?

Thanks mate, it's lookin even better today for a good rub down & last coat of resin, I'll be able to wet & dry it tomorrow & get the final polished finish!

I first made the base out of fibreglass which I moulded from on a small cardboard box that I made & sellotaped up & then covered with kitchen foil (the resin’s don’t stick to foil!) when that was dry I got the sander on it to take out any bumps & then covered it with filler so I could sand it down for a super smooth finish, I then spray it black & keyed it up so that the resin would stick to it, you then need to wait for 2-3 hours for the resin to go tacky at which point you lay the dry carbon fibre onto the part & tape it on the back where needed, I then give it a coat of resin, it’s surprising how little resin you need in comparison to when using fibreglass, I then left it to set overnight then give it another dry sand down to get rid of any major bumps & to key it up, you got to be careful not to sand it to far down though & hit the carbon, your then meant to give it another coat of resin & wait for it to go tacky & then give it another coat of resin then leave it overnight to fully set & then wet & dry it & then either polish or spray with some lacquer. But when I gave the part the second coat the resin kept standing off the part in places so I needed to constantly dab those area’s with extra resin, your meant it either use a hair drier to pop any bubbles but the mrs drier was to powerful & kept blowing the resin off! lol so I chucked it in a oven dish & rested it on top of my heater which took care of most of the bubbles.

In my opinion the hardest part of using carbon fibre is getting the resin to adhere to the part properly & getting any air bubble to pop. Other than that it’s much easier to use than fibreglass, it stays in place when applying the resin unlike fibreglass & you can bond it to more or less anything! Oh yeah it it amazing how thin it is which just one layer of carbon, if you can afford it I’d use a good 3 layers or do like I did & use something cheaper like fibreglass.

grim1 wrote:I know exactly what you mean YD.I had similar issues with fibreglass when i modified my seat{badly}I found that if i laid the mat down on the area i wanted it,and then i added resin on top.I had a right mare by covering mat with resin and then trying to pick it up.Looks like Griz has sussed it out though.Nice job Griz.Its a shame that you have decided to bolt it on bars though and not carry on with moulding it in somewhere as it may just appear as just another" bolt on"modification?and not so bespoke?Just my thoughts mate,i definitely do not possess the skills you have mate.Keep up the good work. thumbup

Thanks mate! I here what your sayin but I think it looks & is very bespoke & I doubt you’ll see another like it! It’s all very well moulding it into the tank & I could have done it no problem, yes it would have looked nice & got more of a wow factor but my bike is for the road not show, yes it has the bling factor but I also want to make the bike safe & comfortable too!

Fringe wrote:That Carbon's gonna look Kool.
Some times mouldin stuff in is ok but Raw Fighter is also about havin stuff where its most useful.
I laff when I see an unrideable bike , coz the pegs/bars/clocks are tooo 'out of the way'.
Or, Like them Chops with really long forks that need a 40 point turn to turn in the street !
Dunno if that makes sence.............
Keep goin Griz.... Its bound to be right n if ya dont like it, Change it! ya got the skills clap happyahh

lol that makes total sense to me matey!

It’s one of the main reason’s I converted my bike as my aches & pains were getting in the way of me enjoying my ride, my bike now in comparision to before is so so comfortable, I love the new riding position & I can’t wait to go for a spin!
griz
griz
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by griz Tue 12 May 2009, 22:25

Also thanks everyone for your kind comments of my talent, your almost makin me feel like I know what I'm doin! Laughing rofl
griz
griz
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by danidge Fri 15 May 2009, 20:48

Done any moreeee done any moreee ?
Im excited!
As im sure everyone else is Wink
I hope your gonna be riding this once its built Razz
danidge
danidge
MotoGP Rider

Back to top Go down

Post by helrazzer Fri 15 May 2009, 21:07

if you dont........il volenteer lol
helrazzer
helrazzer
Clubman Racer

Number of posts : 179
My bike(s) : cbr1000rr 09, 94 blade streetfighter
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Firebladeradmin Fri 15 May 2009, 21:12

danidge wrote:Done any moreeee done any moreee ?
Im excited!

you need to visit www.eternaldelights.co.uk Wink
Firebladeradmin
Firebladeradmin
Website/Forum Owner
Website/Forum Owner

Number of posts : 3124
Male Registration date : 2007-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by danidge Fri 15 May 2009, 21:19

NuttyTart wrote:
Im excited!

hahah very funny!
Your trying to warp my innocent little mind arnt you? Wink
danidge
danidge
MotoGP Rider

Back to top Go down

Post by fastbikefinder Fri 15 May 2009, 21:59

NuttyTart wrote:

You been shopping for the honey moon again? rofl rofl
fastbikefinder
fastbikefinder
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by griz Fri 15 May 2009, 23:14

NuttyTart wrote:
Im excited!

Hey how did you guys find my website! scratch rofl
griz
griz
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Firebladeradmin Fri 15 May 2009, 23:31

danidge wrote:hahah very funny!
Your trying to warp my innocent little mind arnt you? Wink

Innocent????? I think you're lying about your age bleh Laughing
Firebladeradmin
Firebladeradmin
Website/Forum Owner
Website/Forum Owner

Number of posts : 3124
Male Registration date : 2007-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by griz Fri 15 May 2009, 23:54

Im excited!
As im sure everyone else is Wink
I hope your gonna be riding this once its built Razz

Hiya yep I've done loads more! & yes I sure will be riding it, in fact I don't think I'll get off it once it's done! Laughing wheeliebike

helrazzer wrote:if you dont........il volenteer lol

Not on your nelly matey! lol!

Ok I've done a few bits....

I gave the dials case a 3rd coat of resin & sanded it down ready for finishing & put a layer of fibreglass on the back plate to firm it up a bit
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 3rdresincoat
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Postwetdry
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Backplateprefireglass
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Backplatefibreglass

I also cut the carbon can I bought into a stuby can (I decided against the other one I made) I've painted the metal end black to match & also started to fit the other end that was ceramic coated but I've ran out of rivets so I'll post up the end result when I'm done, I've also got to give the carbon a good polish too
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Prestubbycan
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Precanendfit
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 Prespray

I also put some filler on the skin to make it one with the tank & gave it a good sand down & then coated it with what was called a filler putty spray but it was rubish to say the least, so I had to rub it down & put more filler on a few more times to lose all the pit holes, I'll give it a final rub down tomorrow & then start painting
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 1505097
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 1505096
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 1505093
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 1505095
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 1505094

I also rubbed down the seat & gave it a covering of filler & matted down the mudguard ready for painting
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 150509
My 94 Streetfighter Project - Page 16 1505092
griz
griz
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by 1992fireblade Sat 16 May 2009, 07:14

Looking good son! Looking good!

Those plastics are really going to set it off mate. That tank looks super huge!

Last edited by 1992fireblade on Sat 16 May 2009, 11:26; edited 1 time in total
1992fireblade
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1633
My bike(s) : Triumph Bonneville America
Registration date : 2007-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by grim1 Sat 16 May 2009, 10:51

You're on a roll mate.Don't overdo it again though.Looking 150% so far.A++++++++++++ thumbup
grim1
grim1
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 272
My bike(s) : rrp 1993
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by griz Sat 16 May 2009, 15:48

1992fireblade wrote:Looking good son! Looking good!

Those plastics are really going to set it off mate. That tank looks super huge!

grim1 wrote:You're on a roll mate.Don't overdo it again though.Looking 150% so far.A++++++++++++ thumbup

Thanks guys!

I Gota keep the ball rolling now as I need it all done by the end of next week!

I'm on pain killers & lots of coffee to keep me boosted, I'll rest once I'm done.....
griz
griz
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 25 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20 ... 25  Next