www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.
www.firebladeriders.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spain Moto GP - Advice on how to get there please?

+2
masterblader
morpheus20170
6 posters

Go down

Spain Moto GP - Advice on how to get there please? Empty Spain Moto GP - Advice on how to get there please?

Post by morpheus20170 Fri 10 Dec 2010, 15:06

I have wanted to do a trip to one of the Moto GP rounds in Spain on the bike for ages and could never seriously think about it on my 600RR but now I have the Blade I am thinking about it again.
Can anyone please advise me on how to get to Spain, there is the ferry to Santander or Bilbao but they are expensive and then there is still the trip to either Jerez or Barcelona, pref Jerez.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Paul
morpheus20170
morpheus20170
WSB Racer

Number of posts : 521
Male Age : 54
My bike(s) : Honda CBR600RR-07 (stolen) Honda CBR1000RR-06
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Spain Moto GP - Advice on how to get there please? Empty Re: Spain Moto GP - Advice on how to get there please?

Post by masterblader Fri 10 Dec 2010, 17:10

The last time I went across was in 05. The two operators are P&O and Sea France from Plymouth/ Portsmouth to Santander/ Bilbao its a 24 hrs crossing one way and 30hrs the other long drawn out trip. Food and drinks on the boat is expensive my advise is to stock up with food and drink and just use the cafeteria for hot drinks or the resturant for a 3 courser.
masterblader
masterblader
The Blade Guru
The Blade Guru

Number of posts : 5392
Male Age : 79
My bike(s) : RRS, CB500 2 X NC29
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down

Spain Moto GP - Advice on how to get there please? Empty Re: Spain Moto GP - Advice on how to get there please?

Post by morpheus20170 Fri 10 Dec 2010, 17:33

Cheers Mick.
Looking at maybe going to Catalunya for my first trip to Spain on the bike, getting the ferry to Le Havre or Caen and riding down to The Wishing Well and then onto Circuit de Catalunya from there, roughly 400 miles each day.
Anyone fancy joining me?
morpheus20170
morpheus20170
WSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by silverback Sat 11 Dec 2010, 14:36

Can't you take the chunnel and then another train down through France to Spain border and then ride from there????
silverback
silverback
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 2843
Male Age : 57
My bike(s) : R1 2008
Registration date : 2007-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by masterblader Sat 11 Dec 2010, 15:44

The Spanish GP at Jerez is probably the best of the race calender, a survey came up with motorcyling coming second to bull fighting as the most popular sport in Spain. Getting down there is a long haul and the amount of Spanish bikers doing the trip there outguns any other Motor GP venue. Many bikers loose their machines to the sand storms it literally covers the bike beyond recognition so have some distinct marker . The whole weekend turns into a real fiesta especially at Stella Maris where all the fun begins and the Police are far more tolerant than the tossers over here.
masterblader
masterblader
The Blade Guru
The Blade Guru

Number of posts : 5392
Male Age : 79
My bike(s) : RRS, CB500 2 X NC29
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by morpheus20170 Mon 13 Dec 2010, 11:44

Cheers Mick.
Unfortunately that train no longer runs :0(
morpheus20170
morpheus20170
WSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by AlBlade Tue 22 Mar 2011, 21:38

I can offer some advice on this, take with the Britany Ferries overnight crossing to Caen, or the LD Lines to Le Havre (Both from Portsmouth at around 23:00)
LD docs at 08:00, the Brittany boat at 06:00 so not such a good night kip.

From Northern France if its a small group and you don't take ages at fuel stops you will be in the Pyrenees for about 18:00, maybe earlier.

You don't go via Paris, but past Le Mans, Limoges, Toulouse then Ax Les Thermes and over the top. Ax Les Therm would be good place to sttay over, or Andorra. Then next day a couple of hours to get to track.
You don't need to go warp speed on the autoroute - steady 85 - 95 keeps fuel use down and gets you about 150 miles to a tank.

Any more info. please ask - I have ridden to the Pyrenees 3 times so do have a fair bit of experience of the route and options. The long Ferry way to expensive and slow.

Fit BT023 Sports Touring tyres and you will be fine.
AlBlade
AlBlade
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 69
Male Age : 53
My bike(s) : CBR1000rr R8, GSXR750 K5
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by morpheus20170 Tue 22 Mar 2011, 22:03

Do you know of any good places to stay both near the circuit and in Les Therm as I am sure I would need to book early?
I unfortunately would most likely be on my own as can't find anyone that wants to go so maybe try for next year with a few friends, Scotty80 you listening mate?
morpheus20170
morpheus20170
WSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by AlBlade Tue 22 Mar 2011, 22:10

Ax is quite a big tourist place so you could almost turn up.
No idea about near the circuit - but it will all get busy with the numbers watching.
The road from Ax over the top, down to Ripol (the N152) is amazing - really envious if you make it down for that one - early June mint time.

Put a post up on here and try and get a group together - Leave Thur night, sat and sun at track (race ends mid afternoon so chance to head back towards UK almost after it.

Will help with any advice on the route etc.
AlBlade
AlBlade
CBT Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by JT Tue 22 Mar 2011, 23:11

Le Havre - Ax Les Thermes is over 600 miles, a bloody hard day's riding that and on the peages, can be boring as hell. Splitting it up would make it more bearable.

An alternative would be to take the daytime ferry from Pompey, land around 3pm, get to Tours (210 miles) and get your head down for the night.
2nd day
Early up and head south, get to Tarascon-Sur-Ariege (425 miles) plenty of hotels there and there's a biker pub and plenty of places to have your evening meal next to the river.
3rd day
On to Barcelona (140 miles)or however close you want to be or can be if you don't book up front. Arrive fresh and stay awake to watch the races Cool
4th day
Race day at the track
5th day
Head back over the Pyrenees to Limoges (425 miles).
6th day
Back to Le Havre and the ferry (360 miles)

Those miles a day mean you can stop for a midday meal, take in some D road's and your not constantly looking at the clock.

Just depends how you want to do it, everyone to their own thumbup
JT
JT
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1589
Male Age : 59
My bike(s) : 01 Yamaha XJR1300SP
Registration date : 2010-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by AlBlade Tue 22 Mar 2011, 23:20

JT,
Sounds like you know Tarascon and the area well, I think I know the pub you mean - is it the one on the right just past the roundabout on the main road towards Ax after the Foix bypass - with parking on wide pavement opposite?

We stay at Les Cabannes, just between Foix and Ax Les Thermes and even with a big group which makes petrol stops take a while we are always having a beer by 19:00 - does help the town look forward to us returning each year and have the beer being poured when we pull into town.

All depends how much time you have for the trip - really envious as looked at schedule and cannot make it this year but wanted to.

AlBlade
AlBlade
CBT Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by JT Tue 22 Mar 2011, 23:34

Now then AlBlade

You must 'cane it' for the whole day happyahh spot on. I'd be fooked after a day like that in the saddle Laughing

Pubs next to the river on the south west side of the bridge into the town centre. Just a small place called Roma clap

Wish I was going too but then I wish I was going on every road trip with every body who mentions one nanadance but you can't do everything.

ORganised a trip to The 'Ring' for Easter for me and 6 mates too kick the year off. Hope the weather is kind to us punk
JT
JT
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by morpheus20170 Tue 22 Mar 2011, 23:41

You are talking about the Catalunya GP there JT I think but I was referring to Jerez.
I was thinking of trying Caen - Limoges Day 1, Limoges - (that is as far as I got) :0(
morpheus20170
morpheus20170
WSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by JT Wed 23 Mar 2011, 05:39

morpheus20170 wrote:Cheers Mick.
Looking at maybe going to Catalunya for my first trip to Spain on the bike, getting the ferry to Le Havre or Caen and riding down to The Wishing Well and then onto Circuit de Catalunya from there, roughly 400 miles each day.
Anyone fancy joining me?

My mistake, your error eyebrow
JT
JT
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by JT Wed 23 Mar 2011, 05:59

Now then Paul

Beter be quick organising Jerez, it's a week on Sunday Mate

Fri 1st - Sun 3rd April
Catalunya is Fri 3rd - Sun 5th June

thumbup
JT
JT
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by AlBlade Wed 23 Mar 2011, 07:20

Catalunya is the one to aim for - great time of year for weather, great trip down over them hills, maybe even go via Millau to see that - it is stunning.
AlBlade
AlBlade
CBT Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaiser Wed 23 Mar 2011, 10:25

AlBlade wrote:Catalunya is the one to aim for - great time of year for weather, great trip down over them hills, maybe even go via Millau to see that - it is stunning.

Mate & I are hoping to get down there Al but both having new borns it's sometimes hard to persuade the Mrs to allow ..................... kick
Kaiser
Kaiser
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 4491
Male Age : 42
My bike(s) : HM Plant RR10, RR8 Race bike, HM Plant RR7 and a nice rotavated garden!
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down