www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.
www.firebladeriders.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES

+9
thacks
fleurdelyes
silverback
stuart
lerk
Firebladeradmin
chilli
hermy
Dazza
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES Empty Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES

Post by Dazza Tue 13 May 2008, 18:27

Howdy

Just booked an appartment just outside of Fortwilliam for a week. Running Friday to Friday.
Taking the missus and it will be the first trip that far north for both of us.

Could anyone in the know recommend some must see places to go/visit. The appartment would be our base obviously and as its our first time up there could do with some help knowing whats what and wheres where. hubba

I would like to do the touristy bit as well as riding the great roads so that my missus enjoys herself as well. I could ride all day, think she would get bored! arse
If she likes it this time, we can come back! clap

What ya recommend then?.....

Thanks guys, cant wait. (although i aint looking forward to the 8 hour ride up lol)

Last edited by Dazza on Sun 27 Jul 2008, 18:01; edited 1 time in total
Dazza
Dazza
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 310
Male Age : 48
My bike(s) : None
Registration date : 2007-07-23

Back to top Go down

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES Empty Re: Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES

Post by hermy Tue 13 May 2008, 20:28

Hello, this is Hermy's missus, Triumphantblonde :-)

I've been up to Fort William a good few times, and it's a great place to base yourself for some good days out and great roads to ride.

Firstly, the A82 up to Fort William from Glasgow is a stunning road, although be a bit careful until you get to Crianlarich as the road is a bit twisty along the very edge of Loch Lomond, and the road surface could be better. You get a lot of tourists up along there in caravans and coaches, but once you get onto Rannoch Moor the road opens up and it's a fantastic ride through Glencoe.

From Fort William, the Road to the Isles to Mallaig is a great road to ride. Mallaig is a fishing town (so good fish n chips) and you can get the ferry to Skye from there, which I recommend as there are lots of nice little shops over there, and the landscape is definitely worth a look. You can take the Skye bridge back and ride around pas Eilean Donan Castle back down to Fort William. It'd be a long day, but the scenery is breathtaking. Also from Arisaig, just before Mallaig, you can have a day excursion out to the Inner Hebrides if you want to see some wildlife. There are loads of seals who want to play with the boat.

Another great day out is taking the road on the north side of Loch Ness to Inverness. Fort Augustus at the very start of Loch Ness has a set of loch gates which is worth a look when a monster of a boat is going through it. Inverness is an intersting little place, and the road back on the south side of the Loch is a little more challenging with great views all the way down.

If there's a day where you don't fancy going too far, Fort William itself is a great place to look around, lots of touristy shops, and the Ski Lift up the mountain gives fantastic views of the Nevis mountain range, and the restaurant at the top does a good lunch and a great selection of single malts. On a Wednesday evening in Fort William the Lochaber Schools Pipe Band perform in the high street in the summer, and they're really good.

Oban is also another nice place to go/road, Inverary likewise. At Aberfoyle there's a rare breeds place that's worth a look, and if you can make it over to Stirling at any point the Castle and Wallace Monument make a good day out.

Further north from Fort William, the road to Ullapool is quite a nice blast through the mountains, and the road from Ballacullish (?spelling) to Kinlochleven and back out to the main road is a bit of an adventure.

As you can probably tell, I love the place, and have been many times. You'll need to get some Avon Skin-So-Soft lotion for the midges (it kills them DEAD, you can get it from the shop on the Glen Nevis Campsite), don't forget your waterproofs, and expect it to be daylight at 11pm during June.

I'm well jealous. I've been trying to get Hermy up there again this year, but because we went last year, he wants to go somewhere else. :-(

Have a great time, take plenty of pics and don't forget the skilift. If you want to know anything else, PM Hermy and he'll give you my email address.

Blimey, can't I talk!
hermy
hermy
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 40
Male Age : 52
My bike(s) : fireblaes,1998.2004
Registration date : 2007-10-07

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/firebladedave/

Back to top Go down

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES Empty Re: Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES

Post by chilli Tue 13 May 2008, 20:37

well i was gonna give you a run down on routs as there my play areas, but looks like ive been beaten to the major ones and thats probably enough to keep you busy for a week or more.. any idea when your coming up?.. maybe some of the Scots contingent could join you for a mile or two.
chilli
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3876
Male Age : 65
My bike(s) : yep!
Registration date : 2007-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Firebladeradmin Wed 14 May 2008, 07:22

Stock up on midgie spray affraid - Avon's skin so soft is your best bet thumbup they are especially rife around Fort William affraid

Depending when you're coming up, might be able to meet up with ya's wheeliebike
Firebladeradmin
Firebladeradmin
Website/Forum Owner
Website/Forum Owner

Number of posts : 3124
Male Registration date : 2007-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by lerk Wed 14 May 2008, 15:23

Three words - Belach ne baa...

Or the pass of the cattle, search for Applecross (on the west coast) on multimap or similar then follow the line that looks like a two year olds scribble inland!

It's a fair old trek from fort william, but well worth a trip. Maybe make it part of an overnighter in Ullapool?
lerk
lerk
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 292
Male Age : 40
Location : Well if I knew that we wouldn't be f*cking lost now would we???
My bike(s) : RR4 Tricolour

Back to top Go down

Post by Firebladeradmin Wed 14 May 2008, 16:23

Yep agree with Lerk, ya gotta take a trip to Applecross......cracking scenery and the road there is even better affraid but only if yer nae scared o heights and yer feet can reach the ground nae bother Laughing

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES Applec10

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES App-si10
Firebladeradmin
Firebladeradmin
Website/Forum Owner
Website/Forum Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart Fri 16 May 2008, 19:26

Just got back from 3 nights in Fort William, and it was brill. The A82 is an excellent road if you like the tiwsties. Did Oban Inverary and back through Glencoe 1 day. But keep an eye open in Glencoe for the camera van!
Going north up the 82 turn left onto the 87 at Invergarry, then head towards Skye, but take the 890 turn on your right just after Dornie then right onto the 835, then right onto 832 to Drumnadrochit then back onto the 82 home. Lovely run on quiet roads, about 280 miles but well worth it.
stuart
stuart
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Number of posts : 2823
Male Age : 67
My bike(s) : Tiger 800

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza Fri 16 May 2008, 19:57

Thanks for the replys guys/girls i really apprecite it.
Im gonna try and get one of those fold out maps of the highlands so that i can start pieces teh peices together.

Thanks again, ill probably be back for some more info. Smile
Dazza
Dazza
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by silverback Fri 16 May 2008, 22:39

stuart wrote:Just got back from 3 nights in Fort William, and it was brill. The A82 is an excellent road if you like the tiwsties. Did Oban Inverary and back through Glencoe 1 day. But keep an eye open in Glencoe for the camera van!
Going north up the 82 turn left onto the 87 at Invergarry, then head towards Skye, but take the 890 turn on your right just after Dornie then right onto the 835, then right onto 832 to Drumnadrochit then back onto the 82 home. Lovely run on quiet roads, about 280 miles but well worth it.
Jesus, I stay up here and even I'm lost rofl
silverback
silverback
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 2843
Male Age : 57
My bike(s) : R1 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza Sat 17 May 2008, 20:39

Nutty,

is this the stuff you mean?

http://avonshop.co.uk/shop/product.asp?pf_id=4982&from=search&find_spec=insect%20repellent&camp=200809&dir_delivery=1&rep_delivery=1&pagenum=1

it mentions nothing about midge repelant on there.
That the right one?
Dazza
Dazza
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by fleurdelyes Sat 17 May 2008, 20:51

You will be concentrating so much on the scenery that you wont care about the fact that you've bitten to buggery.... I have spoken to Silverback today and it turns out that I have been along some of these routes ( in a car mind ) when I was up visiting my sister in Aboyne. They are absolutely fantastic roads. The midges will pale into insignificance 'cos you will be so knacked from riding you will just drop off....
fleurdelyes
fleurdelyes
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1158
Male Age : 58
My bike(s) : Silver 929

Back to top Go down

Post by Firebladeradmin Tue 20 May 2008, 08:14

Dazza wrote:Nutty,

is this the stuff you mean?

http://avonshop.co.uk/shop/product.asp?pf_id=4982&from=search&find_spec=insect%20repellent&camp=200809&dir_delivery=1&rep_delivery=1&pagenum=1

it mentions nothing about midge repelant on there.
That the right one?

Yup thats the stuff.............the army apparently use it gay Laughing
Firebladeradmin
Firebladeradmin
Website/Forum Owner
Website/Forum Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by thacks Mon 26 May 2008, 21:17

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES Icon_gender_female
My bike(s) : 1993 RRP & CBR1000RR6

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES Icon_minipostSubject: Re: Just booked a week in Scotland ... advice needed Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 5:23 pmJust booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES I_icon10 Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES I_icon12 Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES Empty

Yep agree with Lerk, ya gotta take a trip to Applecross......cracking scenery and the road there is even better affraid but only if yer nae scared o heights and yer feet can reach the ground nae bother Laughing

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES Applec10

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES App-si10
top road had a look on a map is that the a896 from ardarroch to applecross my tomtom going to have a fit working that out lol
thacks
thacks
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 89
Male Age : 51
My bike(s) : blade
Registration date : 2007-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by silverback Tue 27 May 2008, 08:24

A890 then onto the A896, but I be suprised if your tomtom picks that road up.

I have spoken to Silverback today and it turns out that I have been along some of these routes ( in a car mind ) when I was up visiting my sister in Aboyne.
Blairgowrie to Ballater to Aboyne clap(over the Spittal of GlenShee) North side of the ski centre in the better roads IMO, the south side is toooo bumpy now.
silverback
silverback
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kena929 Fri 13 Jun 2008, 08:41

quote]
Blairgowrie to Ballater to Aboyne clap(over the Spittal of GlenShee) North side of the ski centre in the better roads IMO, the south side is toooo bumpy now.[/quote]

I agree with you there, that's a cracking road. Been along many times when i lived up there.
Kena929
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 90
Male Age : 66
My bike(s) : RR5

Back to top Go down

Post by Tazfiend Mon 16 Jun 2008, 21:00

silverback wrote:Blairgowrie to Ballater to Aboyne clap(over the Spittal of GlenShee) North side of the ski centre in the better roads IMO, the south side is toooo bumpy now.
Bumpy but still fun - I love that whole route! jumping
Tazfiend
Tazfiend
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1337
Male Age : 55
My bike(s) : CBR900RRX
Registration date : 2008-01-15

https://www.youtube.com/tazfiend

Back to top Go down

Post by dark_knight87 Tue 17 Jun 2008, 11:29

I have to agree with everyone else - I did a tour up there a couple of years ago and the 'pass of the cattle' to applecross is an absolute must.

Try the A838 from Scouri to Tongue, then onto Bettyhill (we stopped overnight here) from there past Dounreay and onto to Dunnet Head - Fantastic!

Enjoy!

Russ.
dark_knight87
dark_knight87
Trackday Novice

Number of posts : 122
Male Age : 51
My bike(s) : 1998 Honda Fireblade RRW (now Sold) + 1990 Yamaha XT600 Tenere
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza Sat 12 Jul 2008, 15:32

Reet, planning routes now.

How many miles do you think i could comfortably cover in a day. Im going 2 up and will have plenty of stops.
Would 200 - 300 miles be too much on these roads?

eg Id be able to make it to Applecross and back in a day comfortably wouldnt i? ('back' as in Fort William)
Dazza
Dazza
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by chilli Sat 12 Jul 2008, 15:46

yeah, Applecross-fortwilliam in a day is no problem... i do it from Glasgow and back in a day and thats with lunch and other stops so its more an afternoon jaunt from FortWilliam and back.
chilli
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3876
Male Age : 65
My bike(s) : yep!
Registration date : 2007-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Tazfiend Sat 12 Jul 2008, 15:47

Piece of piss. You'll cover 200 to 300 no problem.

I'm doing this tomorrow: http://tinyurl.com/5c4x6n Very Happy
Tazfiend
Tazfiend
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by silverback Sat 12 Jul 2008, 15:48

Not a problem Dazza.
Stop off at the Applecross inn for something to eat, especially if you like seafood.
And do your best to get onto the Auchnasheen road thumbup
Look out for highland cattle on the back side of Applecross.
You got the dates set then???
silverback
silverback
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza Sat 12 Jul 2008, 16:11

Thanks for the quick responces guys.

Yea all dates set now.

Leaving here after work on the 17th and straight up to Barrow in Furness. Stop the night then the longest bit of the journey upto Fort William (well, Lower Banavie) on the Friday.

Put the stop in at Barrow just to break up the trip a bit. Its the first time my missus has done anything like this so its a baptism of fire for her.

Got to check the bike over tommorrow (taking the little Bandit instead of the Blade) and get all the routes finalised.

Weve got all the wet gear but hopefully it wont rain too much!!

Cant wait for Thursday!!! SmileSmile
Dazza
Dazza
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by bazza Sat 12 Jul 2008, 21:09

Have a great trip Dazza, and when you get back home you will want to go back up with the Blade..
bazza
bazza
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1266
Male Age : 105
My bike(s) : RR2 Fireblade
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:42

Well got an early finish at work as planned..... bike is all packed up and full of juice.
Been and bought a pinlock for me visor as its pissing it down here.

Just waiting for girlie to get back from work and then we're offski!!

Here we come Scottyland!!!! Very Happy:D
Dazza
Dazza
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by silverback Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:59

Enjoy yourself Dazza, we're away to Aviemore at the weekend for a week.
So if I see a Bandit, i'll give you a typical Scottish wave fingersup

P.S. the forecast for the week is rain1
silverback
silverback
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tazfiend Thu 17 Jul 2008, 18:49

The forecast for last weekend was crap too when I saw it, and I'd a fantastic long run on Sunday. It's hardly worth checking the report these days. Rolling Eyes
Tazfiend
Tazfiend
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza Sun 27 Jul 2008, 17:40

Well what an amazing place...great roads, great sceanery, great poeple. Had a belter of a time, even if it was a bit too much for my missus she enjoyed it.

Weather was a bit on and off, rained most days except the last 2 which were absolute belters!!

Roads were pretty much empty apart from around loch ness and the roads around loch lommond was tricky to get anywhere quickly. HAd the centre stand scraping a couple of times when fully loaded.

BT021's are absolutly ridiculus in the wet, had to tip toe around every round-about on the way up after a couple of slides.

Took about 250 pictures so heres a selection to tempt those that havent been.

Ive also stuck the routes down as it may help someone in the future whos thinking of going....

Loaded up on the Kirkstone pass

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080718006

Kirkstone pass

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080718007

View from lodge

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080719003

Neptunes staircase

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080719007

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080719009

Kenlochleven

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080720001

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080720004

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080720006

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080720008

Glen Coe

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080720013

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080720014

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080720020

Loch Etive

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080720025

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080720026

Inverary

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080720035

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080720036

Castle Stalker

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080720039

Commando Memorial

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080721001

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080721004

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080721012

Applecross and the pass

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080721016

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080721025

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080721028

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080721034

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080721035

Eileen Donan Castle

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080721041

Loch Linhe

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080722005

Caron car ferry

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080722010

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080722011

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080722016

Glenfinnen Memorial

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080722020

Isle of Skye

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080723001

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080723005

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080723015

Nevis Range

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080724002

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080724007

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080724010

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080724027

Fort Augustus Piper

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080724039

Urquart Castle

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080724042

Glen Nevis

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080724048

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080724056

Just booked a week in Scotland ...Now with PICS and ROUTES 20080724059

Like another world to us down here!

Heres the routes:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=32428

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=32443

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=32454

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=32463

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=32469

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=32479

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=32482

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=32484

Thats ya lot! lol

Been aching like an old man for the last 2 days but cant wait to get back up there (on the Blade next time though!!) Very Happy

Thanks again for all that helped.

Dazza Smile
Dazza
Dazza
BSB Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Tazfiend Sun 27 Jul 2008, 17:59

I'm surprised you didn't get on with the 021s, but sounds like a great holiday nonetheless. Very Happy
Tazfiend
Tazfiend
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by bazza Sun 27 Jul 2008, 21:39

Looks and sounds as though you had a good time, nice 1 mate glad you enjoyed it ...

PS,, some great pictures thumbup
bazza
bazza
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1266
Male Age : 105
My bike(s) : RR2 Fireblade
Registration date : 2007-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Firebladeradmin Mon 28 Jul 2008, 08:11

You'll have to come up and do the East Coast next time thumbup

Excellent pics cool
Firebladeradmin
Firebladeradmin
Website/Forum Owner
Website/Forum Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next