www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.
www.firebladeriders.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An inherited RRS rebuild ..........

+2
danidge
Cowfreak
6 posters

Go down

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... Empty An inherited RRS rebuild ..........

Post by Cowfreak Fri 14 Oct 2011, 18:01

Well after an absence of a blade in my life for 2 yrs, i've finally managed to pester my brother in law into letting me at his crashed RRS An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 760950 . So it was duly delivered to my workshop a few weeks ago and i set about assessing what was required . The bike had been up the road and took a whack from the Kerb which wiped out the left crank cover and also a piece of the crankcase An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 154836 , most of the left side bodywork, indicators, peg and footrest hanger and nice little nick in the frame spar and finally a mullered tank . Ho hum........

Fast forward a couple of weeks and i have a replacement 20K engine from a very nice bloke called Tony in Hinckley, cheers fella, which i was able to test in the bike before buying and he threw in the petrol tank for an extra £20, sweet deal An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 148544 . The tank is black with grey rather than the correct maroon for this bike so i hopped onto the bay and found a Bagster tank cover in the correct colours which became mine for £22 .The might of Evilbay also turned up a pair of side panels in the correct colours for £52 , a new clip on for a tenner and a complete left hanger with peg and gear change for £18 . I also found a NOS left seat panel for £9.95 - black but with the wrong graphics, so the plan is to find a top fairing in black and then order a set of repro decals to tie all the panels together again without resorting to painting - fingers crossed . I'd rather run with stock plastics than go down the chinese bodywork route for now .

So i set about cleaning the chassis while the engine was out , got rid of all the chain oil muck and road grime , gave the new engine a degrease and fitted into place yesterday An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 18990 , next up will be refitting the carbs and then i'll set about rubbing down the stock downpipes and giving them some fresh paint and probably some heat wrap before fitting along with the cooling system.

Anyway, here's some pics to be going on with for now .........

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF5488

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF5489

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF5486

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF5480

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF5487

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF5499

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF5484

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF5485

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF5491

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF5493
Cowfreak
Cowfreak
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 16
Male Age : 55
My bike(s) : CBR900RR-S, H100S
Registration date : 2011-10-07

http://www.rccrawling.co.uk

Back to top Go down

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... Empty Re: An inherited RRS rebuild ..........

Post by danidge Fri 14 Oct 2011, 18:35

i do like that colour scheme. was brought up around one the same colour Smile
what are you gonna do about the frame? just polish it up?
danidge
danidge
MotoGP Rider

Number of posts : 913
Male Age : 34
My bike(s) : cbr900rr urban tiger - sold now have an awesome RR4
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... Empty Re: An inherited RRS rebuild ..........

Post by Cowfreak Fri 14 Oct 2011, 19:08

This paint scheme is my next fav to the RWB classic , then closely followed by the Urban tiger .....I remember seeing it in the flesh at Grantham Honda back in 95 when they came out and lusting after it, i had a CBR1000FL in RWB at that time......

As for the frame ....... i reckon it'll be flatted back smooth and covered with Harris's finest carbon "look at me, i've been up the road" covers . I've done mirror polishing before, An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 435316 ***ing job, on a fighter and as soon as it was done i started cleaning it and never stopped ...... not again .

So, i'll take the badges of shame for now .
Cowfreak
Cowfreak
CBT Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by wes Fri 14 Oct 2011, 19:42

looks like a good project there mate, i like a challenge, keep posting up the progress thumbup
wes
wes
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 2089
My bike(s) : 98 rrw 954 track bike
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by danidge Sat 15 Oct 2011, 12:46

i know what you mean mate, keeping it polished it a pain in the arse. although megawatt says a good wax will stop you having to polish it all the time Wink
danidge
danidge
MotoGP Rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowfreak Mon 16 Apr 2012, 18:40

Well, ahem, after a slight pause An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 840378 , things are getting back on track now .

I've turned the world upside down trying to find the correct top fairing to no avail ........... but i got lucky and found a complete set of original bodywork including tank but in another colour scheme, i'm looking forward to it arriving tomorrow . Here's the pic i have of it fitted to another bike ...

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... %2524%2528KGrHqZHJ%2521wE9qo7DLRwBPg0R4cp5g%257E%257E60_12

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 521130

All i have left to do now is sort some new tyres, get the wheels powder coated , fit new steering head bearings and a new chain + sprox kit and we're good for the MOT i think .

The engine is now all plumbed in and running very sweet indeed, the wiring has been gone through with every connector checked and lubed, all dash functions and lights have been restored ........... nearly there .

I'll get some fresh pics up in the next couple of days guys and gals An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 316600
Cowfreak
Cowfreak
CBT Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowfreak Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:04

Well, i got finished milking the cows early this morning so i took advantage of the peace and quiet and got stuck into the blade ...An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 827250

First up was the steering head bearings.......

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF6587

All nice and straight forward, so i moved onto investigating a small weep i'd noticed coming from the water pump. I suspected the o ring was away but i got a surprise when i took the pump cover off ...An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 435316 An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 435316 An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 435316

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF6588

So, i reached for the old engine and opened up it's water pump and An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 389718 An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 389718 An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 389718 we have a nice spare An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 760950 An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 760950

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF6591

So that got swapped over and it was then time to try out some of the bodywork that arrived the other day ....

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF6580

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF6581

Time for a cuppa and a bacon sarnie now, i'll have a go at fitting the fairing later An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 964788
Cowfreak
Cowfreak
CBT Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops Sun 22 Apr 2012, 12:10

wow love that colour scheme looks great. Smile
lambchops
lambchops

Number of posts : 1178
Male Age : 52
My bike(s) : 98 Blade
Registration date : 2012-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowfreak Sun 22 Apr 2012, 17:49

Thanks Lambchops An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 964788

Got the fairing mounted up and most of it's done, just the left side indicators to fit but first i need to find the rubber that goes around the hole in the fairing affraid , i have a funny feeling it's disappeared An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 255929..... and to obtain a new stalk for the rear one .

Here's some more pics ......An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 57391

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF6596

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF6601

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF6604

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF6606

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF6608

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF6597

Next up is getting the wheels painted and obtaining some new tyres........oh and a chain An inherited RRS rebuild .......... 950996 .........

Till the next time........cheers
Cowfreak
Cowfreak
CBT Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by shadow Sun 22 Apr 2012, 17:54

Looking good mate. Smile
shadow
shadow
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 3003
Male Age : 44
My bike(s) : 06 R1
Registration date : 2007-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by CBR Monkey Sun 22 Apr 2012, 19:18

Nice looking bike you have there cowfreak, what colour are you having the wheels painted?
CBR Monkey
CBR Monkey
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 367
Male Age : 46
My bike(s) : CBR900RR, CB400/4, NC29
Registration date : 2010-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowfreak Sun 22 Apr 2012, 20:38

Thanks CBR Monkey, I was thinking either Black just cause i'd only have to do the rear or matching them to the metallic blue in the bodywork ............

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSCF6611
Cowfreak
Cowfreak
CBT Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by danidge Sun 22 Apr 2012, 22:06

or white Wink

An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSC00554
An inherited RRS rebuild .......... DSC00558
danidge
danidge
MotoGP Rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down