www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.
www.firebladeriders.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacement fairings

+5
wild bill
stuart
1992fireblade
cabbie
ghost rider
9 posters

Go down

Replacement fairings Empty Replacement fairings

Post by ghost rider Fri 26 Dec 2008, 12:36

Has any body tried these replacement fairing set from Hong Kong whats ebay
ghost rider
ghost rider
Trackday Novice

Number of posts : 136
Male Age : 66
My bike(s) : ex-99 rrx
Registration date : 2007-08-03

Back to top Go down

Replacement fairings Empty Re: Replacement fairings

Post by cabbie Fri 26 Dec 2008, 12:50

I've not hear a good word said about them so far, cheap crap plastic and poor fitting!
cabbie
cabbie
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 2139
Male Age : 61
My bike(s) : fireblade
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by 1992fireblade Fri 26 Dec 2008, 13:40

They look good in the pictures but fitting quality isnt the best & they do need a bit of work to line them up etc.
Probably better off sourcing good condition originals & getting them painted to be honest, especially if you want to keep the bike.

Last edited by 1992fireblade on Fri 26 Dec 2008, 23:03; edited 1 time in total
1992fireblade
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1633
Male Age : 54
My bike(s) : Triumph Bonneville America
Registration date : 2007-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart Fri 26 Dec 2008, 14:28

cabbie wrote:I've not hear a good word said about them so far, cheap crap plastic and poor fitting!

I've heard the same thing - total rubbish
stuart
stuart
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Number of posts : 2823
Male Age : 68
My bike(s) : Tiger 800

Back to top Go down

Post by ghost rider Fri 26 Dec 2008, 17:06

Yeah,thats what ive heard,think i will give it a miss,thanks anyway,and all the best.
ghost rider
ghost rider
Trackday Novice

Number of posts : 136
Male Age : 66
My bike(s) : ex-99 rrx
Registration date : 2007-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by wild bill Fri 26 Dec 2008, 17:17

Do any of you lot actually know anyone that's imported one of these kits? Have you got mates with these kits fitted? I've imported one and 2 mates have imported them and we all think they're brilliant!
On here and other forums about a year ago i had many different responces to these Hong Kong imports, it ended up being 50/50.
The only real thing that sprung to my mind was most people who slagged the stuff off hadn't actually bought a cosmetic kit, it was just "hearsay" and "a friend of a friend" said the kits are shit.

Well, i threw caution to the wind and bought a set to see for myself and was blown away by the quality & finish, ok they are a bit of a pain to fit and they do need modifying here and there but for less than £400 it's a snip, if your half mechanically minded there a piece of pi$$ to fit, the only thing to look for with these imports are... Make sure it's an ABS plastic kit, that's it.

If your anywhere near South London your welcome to pop in to see mine, and you can touch it too! Laughing

Or, get an origional set of colours and have them done for a grand.
wild bill
wild bill
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1614
Male Age : 57
My bike(s) : CBR1000RR5 CB1000 BMWF650 TY250
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by shadow Fri 26 Dec 2008, 18:48

wild bill wrote:Do any of you lot actually know anyone that's imported one of these kits? Have you got mates with these kits fitted? I've imported one and 2 mates have imported them and we all think they're brilliant!
On here and other forums about a year ago i had many different responces to these Hong Kong imports, it ended up being 50/50.
The only real thing that sprung to my mind was most people who slagged the stuff off hadn't actually bought a cosmetic kit, it was just "hearsay" and "a friend of a friend" said the kits are shit.

Well, i threw caution to the wind and bought a set to see for myself and was blown away by the quality & finish, ok they are a bit of a pain to fit and they do need modifying here and there but for less than £400 it's a snip, if your half mechanically minded there a piece of pi$$ to fit, the only thing to look for with these imports are... Make sure it's an ABS plastic kit, that's it.

If your anywhere near South London your welcome to pop in to see mine, and you can touch it too! Laughing

Or, get an origional set of colours and have them done for a grand.

2 people i know got them, one sold it on because of the effort needed to fit (more than he wanted to do)
Iggy was the other, hes not a fan.

Quite a few list the fairings on there, its possible some are different quality.
shadow
shadow
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 3003
Male Age : 44
My bike(s) : 06 R1

Back to top Go down

Post by 1992fireblade Fri 26 Dec 2008, 23:01

My step-son got one for his FZR400 off ebay & the quality of the fairings were quite good, the paintwork was excellent but it just wasnt really formed to shape perfectly & was a right nightmare to fit & line up.
Admittedly it was a cheap fix up job compared to genuine parts but at the end of the day......... You get what you pay for i suppose!
1992fireblade
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1633
My bike(s) : Triumph Bonneville America

Back to top Go down

Post by wild bill Fri 26 Dec 2008, 23:15

shadow wrote:2 people i know got them, one sold it on because of the effort needed to fit (more than he wanted to do)
Iggy was the other, hes not a fan.

Quite a few list the fairings on there, its possible some are different quality.

I can kinda understand the bad press as they deffinatly couldn't be fitted in an afternoon and even an experienced mechanic would struggle to fit one in a day, so some people may end up with a bad taste in their mouths once they see the work involved but what you need to weigh up is ...

1)You get a complete set of new ABS cosmetics in race colours for less than £400
or
2) You buy a 2nd hand set of cosmetics for £X amount, then spend another £1000 getting them sprayed?

I see it as a win win situation, i'd like to hear why Iggy wasn't over impressed, i'm sure he has good reasons. Your right about different sellers though, i'm sure there's different qualities.
wild bill
wild bill
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1614
Male Age : 57
My bike(s) : CBR1000RR5 CB1000 BMWF650 TY250
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by griz Tue 30 Dec 2008, 22:30

I bought a set in the past but never got around to fitting them, the paint job was top quality though & they did look like they would require a bit of work to fit on the bike but worth the trouble I think & I would buy another set in the furture too thumbup
griz
griz
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1928
My bike(s) : 93 Blade Streetfighter & a 96 Engineless Blade, soon to become 1 & a 95 GPZ1100 Grand tourer which is looking for a new home! lol
Registration date : 2007-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by yammydave Wed 31 Dec 2008, 09:22

One of my neighbours bought a set of Stoner replica for a written off Ducati 748 he repaired.
He actually got his set from Ebay.com under the impression it was coming from the US, however they arrived from Hong Kong.
He wasn't happy with the time it took to fit them and it showed with some of the gaps; but then he was only doing it to make money on the bike and wanted it done quickly.
A caring owner would probably have been able to have achieved a better fit.
The paint looked good quality, though maybe a triffle thin, with a very good decal job.
Again with the money saved, having a couple of coats of laquer sprayed on top shouldn't break the bank.
If you bin your bike and are only 3rd party insured, I'd have thought they would be a Godsend.
yammydave
yammydave
WSB Racer

Number of posts : 653
Male Age : 63
My bike(s) : CBR900RRS, CBR900RRP, CB750/900F
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by skidd1 Wed 31 Dec 2008, 10:19

for the money you pay i think they are excellent .Yes they might take a bit of work to fit but thats the trade off
I went down the other route repairing with original and secondhand parts .It cost a fortune!
Price up a full set of plastics for an Urban Tiger and i think you will get a shock
skidd1
skidd1
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 300
Male Age : 61
My bike(s) : rrv, sprint st
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down