www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.
www.firebladeriders.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What cc

+2
shadow
Hendy1985
6 posters

Go down

What cc Empty What cc

Post by Hendy1985 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 00:23

Hi guys me and a few friends are looking to go from road riding to just track days but I've never done 1 before just wondered what cc is best for the track and any suggestions on bikes? Thanks in advance! ;-)
Hendy1985
Hendy1985
Clubman Racer

Number of posts : 196
Male Age : 38
My bike(s) : cbr900 RRW
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Back to top Go down

What cc Empty Re: What cc

Post by shadow Mon 24 Jun 2013, 14:01

1000cc is best, because then you wont get stuck behind the 600's on the straights.

Many people have tried just tracks days with no road stuff, but 90% find out how expensive it is then end up back on the road again.

As with most things, its all budget dependent.

Best bike ive used was a 06 cbr600rr, but the prob with that was getting stuck behind a 5vy R1 as he had 50 + bhp on what i had, meaning passes had to be done on the brake's, on the entrance to corners and the reason i went over the grass down the craner curves because he didn't see me.

How much are you spending ?
shadow
shadow
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 3003
Male Age : 44
My bike(s) : 06 R1
Registration date : 2007-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Hendy1985 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 16:55

Around 3-4k for a bike not till around August but trying to get info and advice 1st make sure I got all the gear for it!
Hendy1985
Hendy1985
Clubman Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Granville Mon 24 Jun 2013, 20:28

I have an Aprilia RSV mille on fleabay at the moment, which is a beautiful track bike, with everything needed to be all set on the track. Item 
221241239178 genuine 5000 miles with all the light weight bits on it including spare wheels with new wet tyres on and a couple of sets of dry tyres bla bla bla... Selling with tyre warmers, front paddock stand and loads Of spares.

Just incase you wanted to spend less than your budget (but sooner) to get everything you need to get you out there.
Granville
Granville
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 84
Male Age : 52
My bike(s) : 929 fireblade, aprilia mille rsv
Registration date : 2013-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Hendy1985 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 21:15

Thanks for the offer ill keep it in mind it's on the watch list lol my friends just bought a new shape r6 he's doing brands on Wednesday so ill have feedback on them soon I've heard alot of good things about the cbr600rr but could be swayed towards a 1000's from what shadow ;-)
Hendy1985
Hendy1985
Clubman Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by masterblader Mon 24 Jun 2013, 22:24

Yeah Dave I'm gonna be there mate, you bringing your scooter!!!lol
masterblader
masterblader
The Blade Guru
The Blade Guru

Number of posts : 5392
Male Age : 79
My bike(s) : RRS, CB500 2 X NC29
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by shadow Mon 24 Jun 2013, 22:31

New shape R6, i didn't like it might have been the one i rode, i preferred the shape before 5sl and the ultra rare 5sl with radial brakes and upsidedown forks, cant be many of them left.

Does 4k get you a 04 - 06 R1 ?

If it was my money id get a good road bike first, them simply use it on track, don't go to the expense of track bodywork etc at least not at first.

What cc 102_0022
What cc 102_0031

Thats the 99 R6 i brought as a road bike, at cadwell it still had a reg plate on. Smile
shadow
shadow
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 3003
Male Age : 44
My bike(s) : 06 R1
Registration date : 2007-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Hendy1985 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 22:43

masterblader wrote:Yeah Dave I'm gonna be there mate, you bringing your scooter!!!lol
Lol nah I'm not going I'm at work if the twisty's was tighter and no long straights I'd be tempted scooter he he but the mrs is not happy with me road riding anymore since Keith's crash so I made a compromise ;-)wheeliebike
Hendy1985
Hendy1985
Clubman Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by slowincorners Tue 25 Jun 2013, 18:49

I'd say it depends what you want. If you want to be the fastest on the circuit, then it's unlikely on a 600 unless you are extremely capable. There are some riders, particularly those on Euro track days with wallets and budgets that would shame some minor race teams- tricked up Desmo's, Panigale's and S1000RR with race parts.

That said, a 600 will be cheaper to run in tyres compared to a Thou. Is it really any less fun to be a bit slower on a 6?
slowincorners
slowincorners
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 303
Male Age : 54
My bike(s) : 954 rr2
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Thu 27 Jun 2013, 22:13

Well Steph and me did Mallory today, and I'm saddened to have to say even with my clean lines and smoothness, a bunch of cocks on litre bikes with more money than sense spoiled the day. Got one forcing his way underneath me into Gerrards; glad to say I leave my ego at home and so I eased over the outside to let him have it, alas the dick realised how stupid he'd been and started standing the bike up and forcing me even wider, and wider, until I figured I was going for a roll in the gravel. Nonetheless, I bit down and kept it leant over and me watery eyes on the exit, the knob got away with it and rolled off into the distance without even apologising. 
(Staff had a word with him after I vented to them).
Anyhoo, my point is that a litre bike in capable hands will always see a 600 off.
The only reason this nincampoop got away with it today was 1) I'm the bigger man, and 2) He had so much feckin' bling on the bike THAT is what saved him, not his own overestimated ability.
Up until that point, I was quite happy for the bigger bikes to plough past me and then tag them into turns and drift past with the stiffer 600.

I looked at some piccies during lunch, and to be honest, I've given the 600's a fair crack, but I'm now admitting I'm too big for them.
I'm just under 6ft and I really have to squish up to tuck in and hunker down into the bends.
ANd veofre you start tooting SB, you're older then me lol

So the other half an me are now discussing selling the 600's and chipping in to a litre bike so my joints are only fooked half of the month instead of all the time lol

My point; if you're over, say 5'5" I'd seriously suggest you try for a bigger framed bike.
I've punted around on a fair few 600's, and for the track where body position is fairly important t have a fun day, despite heavy modding, tweaking, dieting, loosing organs and just about anything else you can think of to make them easier to ride, if you're pushing towards 'tall' then a 600 is going to be a lot less fun, in fact you may 'think' you're having fun, but you're not.

My vote is go for the litre bike dude, and if you're not too 'skilled' the grunt will compensate so you can go easy on the turns and crank it open for the straighter bits so you'll have great fun and won't have to spend ages dialling suspension settings etc as much as a 600.
Iggy
Iggy
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Thu 27 Jun 2013, 22:17

Oh and by the way, in case no one has mentioned it, they're now properly noise testing at Mallory. Line up, pit lane, 600's rev to 7k, litres to 5 1/2.
Pass= Thundersport sticker and go and play.
Fail= sent away and come back with less db, hoe you do it is up to you.

There was no guy with a drill selling baffles either.

Be warned lol
Iggy
Iggy
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: