www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.

Updating my RRW

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Updating my RRW

Post by wes on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 21:19

Looks so nice mate, showroom perfect Smile , the mrs just commented "no you cant buy it" Laughing
wes
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 2086
Male Age : 49
My bike(s) : 98 rrw 954 track bike
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops on Wed 04 Apr 2012, 21:33

haha thanks Wes Smile

lambchops

Number of posts : 1178
Male Age : 45
My bike(s) : 98 Blade
Registration date : 2012-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by kavanaj on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 08:54

Looks AMAZING!!! Really looking forward to seeing it with that nice gixxer seat back on too. Really good job - especially as it's your 1st attempt!?!?!
kavanaj
Trackday Novice

Number of posts : 141
Male Age : 41
My bike(s) : CBR900RR-W, Husqvarna 500CR!!
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 18:01

Ok so update time, started to work on the subframe some more, because of my R1 shock I cannot keep the standard battery tray assembly plastics as its fowls the shock reservoirs so this is going to be a custom fully alloy subframe now. So battery needs to be relocated and mounts made for all the electrical components which need a home under the plastic tail.

To start with I wanted the thing with enough angle to it come up as high as the tank, these conversion donít look right until you raise it somehow and to do mine I drilled new holes in the upper subframe just to the left of the standard holes for the mounts. This brings the whole thing up an inch and a half at the rear which is just about right. I will get my welder mate to plate over the original holes to make sure thereís enough strength in the frame still to hold up with a big fatty like me aboard

Next job I took off all the mounting plates and split the whole subframe in to two pieces as I wanted it about 2 cm narrower to save stretching the plastic seat cowl over the whole assembly, so this means taking the tank mount brace off and cutting it down a little, it wanted relocating slightly anyway as with the tail raised the tank mount hole didnít line up.

What im doing is making all the new braces and plates out of very thin alloy which I can cut with scissors and then gluing and bolting in place. I will check the fit and then my buddy with remove them all and make them out of 2mm - 3mm alloy and weld them in place. Quick pic of it so far, you can see the battery will be mounted at an angle and secured with the 90 degree bracket.

Bit pissed in this one as it was an early attempt to get right but gives a good idea.

lambchops

Back to top Go down

Post by Tone on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 20:19

Looking Great LC still amazed at your rate of progress. keep it up fella.
Tone
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 495
Male Age : 116
My bike(s) : 1992 CBR900RR-N; 1998 RVF400
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops on Sun 08 Apr 2012, 21:11

Thanks Tone, spent another couple of hours out there since those pics. have all the electrics mounted on my temp tin alloy, seems to all fit great so im very happy. Ive also nut and bolted each peice in place as when its welded the glue will fail with the heat so though nut a bolt was a better idea

Pic

Ive also mounted my shock adjuster on the rear side pannel mount which seems to work quite well. All I need to add now are the screw mounts for the front of the cowl and add the seat mounting parts, but its getter there very fast I will need to extend the battey + lead from the little fuse box and buy a new longer ground cable which runs from the battery to the starter motor. pics are just my phone for these so sorry about that

lambchops

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 22:04

Finished the mock up of the subframe now so thought I would take a few more good pics before its stripped down for welding. Im very happy with how shes coming on Smile

lambchops

Back to top Go down

Post by kavanaj on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 16:57

That looks amazing. Simples.

How long now till you get it on the road??
kavanaj
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 17:26

A cracking build and brilliant thread mate!

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 22:23

Thanks guys Smile

Shouldnt be too much longer I hope, all thats stopping me now is money hehe. Not sure how much the tanks going to cost to get painted but I expect its not going to be cheap :( I also need to buy the rear brake line and front pads but not too much to do now
lambchops

Back to top Go down

Post by Tone on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 23:04

What kind of breakline are you looking for? I have some stainless earls hoses in good nick. If you're interested let me know what length and i'll measure up.
Tone
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 495
Male Age : 116
My bike(s) : 1992 CBR900RR-N; 1998 RVF400
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops on Sat 14 Apr 2012, 10:30

Thats very good of you Tone, what I need though is one of them unfinished lines so I can thread it through the arm and then make up the end to connect to the master cylinder once its threaded. Clive has one on his 750 arm as I dont want to run the huge vfr chain gaurd which has the line integrated normally. Do you need a chain gaurd for an MOT does anyone know?
lambchops

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 14 Apr 2012, 10:38

I haven't had a chainguard on my standard arm for the last 3 MOTs.

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops on Sat 14 Apr 2012, 10:44

OK thanks Alan, I may get my metal work buddy to make me up a small custom alloy gaurd just to go over the chain and protect against chain snap or something.. or am I being to paranoid.. There is no arm subframe there the chain goes through to protect against this like the standard swinger has..
lambchops

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 14 Apr 2012, 10:48

Yeah, that could be a problem. Best to play safe and get your ticket.

Back to top Go down

Post by clive1286 on Sun 15 Apr 2012, 22:38

Spoke to mot place couple of weeks ago, they say chainguard is a grey area, but as a rule if its got rear pegs fitted it needs one, no pegs = no guard, but would probably just isue an advisory, so as mines gonna have rear seat cowl fitted ( which i still need if anyone knows where there is one goin cheap, 04-06 R1, let me know) i'm goin without the chainguard
clive1286
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 496
Male Age : 57
My bike(s) : cbr900rrw. cb1000r
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops on Sun 15 Apr 2012, 22:53

OK good to know Clive, wont be having rear pegs or seat so could prob go without. May get a small bracket made up to protect from chain breakages
lambchops

Back to top Go down

Post by alz4321 on Mon 16 Apr 2012, 07:03

It's not a grey area at all, the only reasons for rejection available relating to the chain guard are : a drive chain/belt guard insecure or fouling another component. So basically if it's there it has to be secure. Personally I always advise them if they're missing regardless of passenger footpegs.
If anyone has any MOT questions all the answers are here :
http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

Oh and loving the bike think it looks ace !
alz4321
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 291
Male Age : 34
My bike(s) : cbr 900 rrx, 1995 ntv650 and 1983 vf400
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops on Mon 16 Apr 2012, 10:21

OK good news thanks Alz
lambchops

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops on Tue 17 Apr 2012, 20:56

Fairings all on now and the front wheel is secured, needed to add a 2mm spacer on the right and 4mm on the left, calipers now fit perfectly in the disks.

lambchops

Back to top Go down

Post by kavanaj on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 14:37

Looks amazing. I am so impressed with every aspect of this 're-furb' and the work involved.... I bet your chomping at the bit to get out on it!!

Another quick question - you mention that you have an R1 shock - I assume it fits the SSSA OK etc and you didn't have to make any other mods?? (I hope I haven't missed it in the thread!!)

PS - I 'won' a VFR800 ('98) SSSA, hub, disc AND wheel off the bay for £100!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kavanaj
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 17:40

Thanks Smile

Thats a good price on the VFR arm and wheel very nice! With regards the R1 shock you need a couple of spacers at the bottom linkage on about 2 -3mm but this is the same with the standard blade shock as the VFR mount is slightly offset to where the cbr one is so 3mm spacers take this up. The biggest issue with the R1 shock is the reservoir it wont fit the standard tail, it fowls the battery.
lambchops

Back to top Go down

Post by kavanaj on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 17:51

Smile

I know! Couldn't believe it and it said collection only so I asked if I could arrange a courier - booom!!!!

Thanks for the info, I re-read the post again and remembered about the battery, nice to have exact confirmation of what is required!!
kavanaj
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick858 on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 19:37

Beautiful work LC, it's turned into a stunning update. There's no need to hurry and finish the job, the weather is pish!
Mick858
Trackday Novice

Number of posts : 106
Male Age : 59
My bike(s) : 98RRW
Registration date : 2012-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 19:39

I tried an R1 shock on mine once, but I couldn't sort out the damping rates no matter what I did and the spring felt too soft. Think it's coz of the different geometry?

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 21:09

I hope as ive had it resprung to my weight and its an ohlins I have enough adjustment there to make it work on my bike Alan, would think its going to be ok.

Thanks Mick, yeah im not too worried at the moment as the weather is a joke. Soon as that sun comes out though im going to be itching or a ride though haha.
lambchops

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops on Tue 24 Apr 2012, 19:48

OK rather than splash out on a R&G tail tidy I decided to have one of my own made up by my fabricator buddy. Gone for the sweet and simple approach, missing an indicator before any smart arse points that out Smile

lambchops

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Apr 2012, 19:51

Crackin job mate!

Back to top Go down

Post by lambchops on Tue 24 Apr 2012, 19:56

Thanks MW, do you think that back light will throw enough light down on the plate for the MOT? I have a small LED number plate light but dont want to add it if I can get away with it.. Will have to do some tests.. not going to go for an MOT with that plate of course!! haha
lambchops

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 24 Apr 2012, 20:03

There is usually a clear bit under a standard tailight to light up the numberplate. Yours only has the red LEDs, so you may get a fail for it, even though it will light up as soon as a headlight shines on it. To be safe I would fit a white LED that only shines onto the numberplate and not backwards or sideways!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top