www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.
www.firebladeriders.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish Ride Out

+2
chilli
Tazfiend
6 posters

Go down

Scottish Ride Out Empty Scottish Ride Out

Post by Tazfiend Sat 30 Apr 2011, 09:42

This was really one I did with another forum, but Kaiser was along too and I thought he'd like to see the pics so I've copied the report across. I hope that's okay with the mods.

My first proper ride since Ambleside in September last year. Off to a bright and breezy start first thing in the morning. Was bloody chittering on the motorway, must have been murder for those poor blighters coming from further afield (Fink 100 miles, Sausage in kevlar jeans and Kaiser in summer leathers and boots come immediately to mind).

Scottish Ride Out IMG-20110429-00405

7am meeting at the airport. Scotbike decided he'd meet us later with his brother.

Scottish Ride Out IMG-20110429-00406

Heading for the hills!

Scottish Ride Out IMG-20110429-00407

Safely navigated Duke's Pass. I love that bit of road, it's as twisty as hell, you never get out of third (and often not out of second!). It's been resurfaced in places and only had a few spots of gravel this spring so a great warm up, even though I felt as rusty as hell!

Scottish Ride Out IMG-20110429-00409

Meeting Scotbike and his brother in Kilmahog.

Scottish Ride Out IMG-20110429-00411

To be honest we were a bit early in the trip for lunch, planning to stop at the Hungry Highlander wasn't really the right thing, but I couldn't resist the whale and chips. (And thank you very much to Kaiser for treating me to lunch). We had a very relaxed stop because it was so early, which caused problems later because I'd forgotten we really were not at the halfway point. My bad.

Scottish Ride Out IMG-20110429-00417

The rode off without the leader and missed the turn. Not our fault they got lost, honest!

Scottish Ride Out IMG-20110429-00418

Only four years between them, but so different. I had a shot of Scotbike's Blade, now with it's suspension more or less right (it's no wonder he'd had trouble - previous owner had made a monkey of it!) and it's so much taughter and tighter than mine. It also feels like you sit much higher over it, with more weight on the wrists and a harder saddle. I think for the long blasts on the road mine suits me better but I do love the 954. :yo:

Scottish Ride Out IMG-20110429-00419

Heading up the Cockbridge to Tomintoul road. Parts of it are like riding up the side of a house. I just love it! Riding along the ridge up to the Lecht you feel like you're on a tight rope in a gail!

Scottish Ride Out IMG-20110429-00422

Heading down towards the Nethy Bridge / Boat of Garten road behind the A95 and A9 to Aviemore. More twisty loveliness and a great deal of it beautifully surfaced (not the first mile or two though).

Scottish Ride Out IMG-20110429-00425

Still chilly in the hills.

It was further along here, after Aviemore, that Kaiser let me ride is 2010 special edition Fireblade. Sorted suspension, quick shifter, slipper clutch, painfully high rearsets and 182bhp at the rear wheel. f**k. I quite simply have never ridden anything like this before. The combination of truly mahoosive midrange and heart pounding top end with the do-it-again-daddy addictiveness of the quick shift gear changes was intoxicating, even on the really tight and twisty road from Aviemore to Kingussie (not the A9 obviously). I couldn't own this bike. Quite apart from being crippled I'd be in gaol. I admire Kaiser's self control almost as much as his ability to ride several hundred miles a such a focused bike.

Scottish Ride Out IMG-20110429-00426

You've gotta love the views Scotland throws at you around every corner. I missed so many castles because I was enjoying the road too much, but I had to stop for this one.

Scottish Ride Out IMG-20110429-00428

The one really shitty bit of the trip was getting through Fort William. It was like bloody rush hour! Worse, they've littered the road there with 40 limits and double white lines, a nightmare. However once we were free of that rubbish the road towards Oban and then the Oban to Tyndrum road were awesome.

Scottish Ride Out IMG-20110429-00435

At this point Kaiser, Scotbike's brother, Scotbike and his father-in-law to be (who'd joined us in Newtonmore, parted company. The rest of us headed for Inveraray as they headed off to Tyndrum and the east.

Scottish Ride Out IMG-20110429-00437

It was a great day for me. A bit of a late finish (Sorry Sandra) because of the relaxed lunch stop and the mechanics of a largeish group, but I don't think anyone had a pace they didn't like forced on them (either too fast or too slow) because of the way we did it so hopefully everyone enjoyed it as much as I.
Tazfiend
Tazfiend
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1337
Male Age : 55
My bike(s) : CBR900RRX
Registration date : 2008-01-15

https://www.youtube.com/tazfiend

Back to top Go down

Scottish Ride Out Empty Re: Scottish Ride Out

Post by chilli Sat 30 Apr 2011, 11:26

what you mean.."another forum", there is no such thing as another forum!. Laughing Laughing

nice pics, like that one of castle stalker on the 12 min road.
chilli
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3876
Male Age : 65
My bike(s) : yep!
Registration date : 2007-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Tazfiend Sat 30 Apr 2011, 17:15

Thanks. You come round the corner to that view and it's either stop to enjoy it or risk not making the left at the bottom of the hill because you're so distracted. Laughing
Tazfiend
Tazfiend
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by chilli Sat 30 Apr 2011, 18:54

1st time i did that road i was asked.."whats that castle called?"... "eh, what Castle?", so we had to do the road again just to see if there was a castle Smile
chilli
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotty80 Sat 30 Apr 2011, 23:24

Looks like you all had a good day,god I miss those roads must try and bring the blade up with me in the summer when I come home to visit the family think I will have to have leave the other half and the kids with the family and have a day or two having a tour around the old haunts sunny
scotty80
scotty80
Website/Forum Owner
Website/Forum Owner

Number of posts : 846
Male Age : 43
My bike(s) : 97 rrv
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 May 2011, 00:05

Great pix Taz. Hoping to visit Scotland myself sometime this year.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by wes Sun 01 May 2011, 04:01

chilli wrote:1st time i did that road i was asked.."whats that castle called?"... "eh, what Castle?", so we had to do the road again just to see if there was a castle Smile
Laughing theres a huge white windmill on the usk to abbergavenny road, used to judge the level of concentration. Nice photos there, looks great.
wes
wes
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 2089
My bike(s) : 98 rrw 954 track bike
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by JT Sun 01 May 2011, 08:21

Now then Tazfiend

Good write up an pics mate, Scotland is beautiful

JT
JT
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1589
Male Age : 59
My bike(s) : 01 Yamaha XJR1300SP
Registration date : 2010-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Tazfiend Sun 01 May 2011, 09:13

Got a week later in the year dedicated to enjoying the best Scotland has to offer, can't wait. Very Happy
Tazfiend
Tazfiend
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tazfiend Sun 01 May 2011, 09:24

Tazfiend
Tazfiend
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by chilli Sun 01 May 2011, 10:44

I see you took the boring road along loch lomond, should have turned onto the Military road and then the washboard along loch long,( to arrochar) more hoots than you can shake a stick at.
chilli
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tazfiend Sun 01 May 2011, 13:01

Look again, that's exactly what we did. That was our return leg, so a nice blat along the Washboard was lovely way to finish the day off. Very Happy

The southern half of the Loch Lomond road is dreadful, I cut out as much of that as I can. The northern half is good but you have to time it right - even on a bike the traffic can be a pain.
Tazfiend
Tazfiend
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by chilli Sun 01 May 2011, 14:21

Oh yeah, so it is.. bloody moose wheel aint working proper Laughing Laughing
chilli
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaiser Sun 01 May 2011, 14:51

Nice pics Taz, enjoyed the ride a lot and good chat with a good group of guys.

Glad when we were on the better surfaced road, my bike was shaking me to bit's over the trosachs and a few of the other roads Laughing

My wrists took a well earned break when I was on Chester for 20 mins or so Laughing

Was a great day, can't wait to do another.

I'm just getting the feeling back in my hand now, after what felt like white finger, pins & needles etc

wheeliebike
Kaiser
Kaiser
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 4491
Male Age : 42
My bike(s) : HM Plant RR10, RR8 Race bike, HM Plant RR7 and a nice rotavated garden!
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaiser Sun 01 May 2011, 14:53

p.s. It is blooming difficult to ensure I maintain a strong discipline on my bike whistle
Kaiser
Kaiser
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 4491
Male Age : 42
My bike(s) : HM Plant RR10, RR8 Race bike, HM Plant RR7 and a nice rotavated garden!
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Tazfiend Sun 01 May 2011, 17:20

I'm impressed you ever succeed in any discipline at all on that machine! Razz

Even Scotbike, on his 954, said he found my RRX lovely and comfortable. There's a good side to having an older bike. Smile
Tazfiend
Tazfiend
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content