www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.

Single sided swing arms

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Single sided swing arms

Post by tomtom on Wed 14 Oct 2009, 20:58

Ive got a 1999 blade and looking to do a single sided back end .Any info on what year of VFR 750 or 800 arm would fit in the easiest to line up with suspension etc.Thanks.

tomtom
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 15
Male Age : 50
Location : Dundee
My bike(s) : Streetfightered 99 blade
Registration date : 2009-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by radiobloke on Wed 14 Oct 2009, 21:06

SO many threads on this subject

I'd suggest using the search facility on this site or in google

in short...750...not 800

20-25mm spacer dependant on who you ask
avatar
radiobloke
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1113
Male Age : 48
Location : Nottingun
My bike(s) : Spondon Turbo Fireblade, CB1300, 1200 BigBird
Registration date : 2008-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by radiobloke on Wed 14 Oct 2009, 21:08

and take the time to intro yourself to the forum...1st post is an ask...hows about saying hi!

hi by the way...welcome aboard
avatar
radiobloke
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1113
Male Age : 48
Location : Nottingun
My bike(s) : Spondon Turbo Fireblade, CB1300, 1200 BigBird
Registration date : 2008-04-30

Back to top Go down

Swing arms-again

Post by tomtom on Sun 18 Oct 2009, 13:46

Thanks for all the helpful threads.It seems 94-97 VFR are the arms to go with.I may have the chance of a 93 or a 98 arm are they wider or different shock alignment or whats the problem and can it be sorted .Thanks again.

tomtom
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 15
Male Age : 50
Location : Dundee
My bike(s) : Streetfightered 99 blade
Registration date : 2009-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by rapid777 on Thu 22 Oct 2009, 14:40

hi,,why not go for an vfr800 swinger? http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5060
avatar
rapid777
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 463
Male Age : 39
Location : norway
My bike(s) : HONDA SC28
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by tomtom on Fri 23 Oct 2009, 00:18

Thanks,but i think the 800 arm is wider and needs machined to fit the frame.Managed to get a 93 VFR 750 arm so just have to figure how to get the suspension linkages to mate up etc.

tomtom
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 15
Male Age : 50
Location : Dundee
My bike(s) : Streetfightered 99 blade
Registration date : 2009-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by rapid777 on Fri 23 Oct 2009, 03:24

hi,,use rod end bearings to mount it up to the frame,,machine down the triangle for the shock/suspension linkage,only the ones for the dogbones,and make new  dogbone/s with rod ends and  threaded rodsuse a metric vernier and common sense ,,,,,,,,,to victory :o)
avatar
rapid777
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 463
Male Age : 39
Location : norway
My bike(s) : HONDA SC28
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by tomtom on Fri 23 Oct 2009, 04:16

Thanks mate,thats ace.Dont suppose you got any pics of it done...no harm in asking.Cheers.

tomtom
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 15
Male Age : 50
Location : Dundee
My bike(s) : Streetfightered 99 blade
Registration date : 2009-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by griz on Fri 23 Oct 2009, 10:14

Hi the 94-97 vfr arm is a striaght swap apart from the spacer on the swingarm spindle, it's much easier to use than the 93 arm as it uses the blades shock mounting linkage no problem!
avatar
griz
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1928
Male Age : 47
Location : Cheddar
My bike(s) : 93 Blade Streetfighter & a 96 Engineless Blade, soon to become 1 & a 95 GPZ1100 Grand tourer which is looking for a new home! lol
Registration date : 2007-08-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by tomtom on Sat 24 Oct 2009, 12:09

Thanks but already got a 93 arm so gonna give it a try anyway.

tomtom
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 15
Male Age : 50
Location : Dundee
My bike(s) : Streetfightered 99 blade
Registration date : 2009-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by radiobloke on Sat 24 Oct 2009, 21:58

id flog it and get the newer one...less headache i the long run
avatar
radiobloke
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1113
Male Age : 48
Location : Nottingun
My bike(s) : Spondon Turbo Fireblade, CB1300, 1200 BigBird
Registration date : 2008-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by danidge on Sun 25 Oct 2009, 08:37

Griz, how do you go about wheel choice if you do this? i think i remember you saying you have a car wheel on yours? also are the vfr wheels not as wide as the blade ones, cause you would want to get them roughly the same to keep it handling ok wouldnt you?
avatar
danidge
MotoGP Rider

Number of posts : 913
Male Age : 27
Location : felixstowe
My bike(s) : cbr900rr urban tiger - sold now have an awesome RR4
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by rapid777 on Sun 25 Oct 2009, 18:34

     


Last edited by rapid777 on Sun 25 Oct 2009, 18:52; edited 1 time in total
avatar
rapid777
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 463
Male Age : 39
Location : norway
My bike(s) : HONDA SC28
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by rapid777 on Sun 25 Oct 2009, 18:36

how do i post pics?
avatar
rapid777
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 463
Male Age : 39
Location : norway
My bike(s) : HONDA SC28
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by danidge on Sun 25 Oct 2009, 20:13

you have to get a link off photo bucket, thats how i do it anyway.
avatar
danidge
MotoGP Rider

Number of posts : 913
Male Age : 27
Location : felixstowe
My bike(s) : cbr900rr urban tiger - sold now have an awesome RR4
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by Guest on Sun 25 Oct 2009, 20:36

Register with photobucket, upload yer pix, copy the IMG code and paste it on here! Simples???
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by radiobloke on Sun 25 Oct 2009, 20:47

vfr arm and wheel makes the wheelbase a bit longer..you'll need a new chain too

you can fit a car wheel but will need a hub mount making up
avatar
radiobloke
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1113
Male Age : 48
Location : Nottingun
My bike(s) : Spondon Turbo Fireblade, CB1300, 1200 BigBird
Registration date : 2008-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by griz on Sun 25 Oct 2009, 21:58

danidge wrote:Griz, how do you go about wheel choice if you do this? i think i remember you saying you have a car wheel on yours? also are the vfr wheels not as wide as the blade ones, cause you would want to get them roughly the same to keep it handling ok wouldnt you?

Hiya danidge, there are a number of different options using the 94-97 swingarm, you could go with a car wheel using the original hub, all you need to do is buy some longer thicker studs, drill out the stud holes slightly wider to take the new studs & then fit the correct width spacer to make the car wheel line up.

Or you can take out the vfr eccentric hub & fit a Ducati one if you want to go with a ducati wheel or even fit a triumph eccentric hub & use the triumph wheel.

I''m not 100% sure which hubs will fit but there is some info regarding this mod online just do a google search & if you want some more info on the car wheel conversion drop me a PM

Speaking on experience I would either go with a vfr800 wheel, you just need to grind down a few points on the wheel to make it fit up onto the 94-97 hub (again lots of info on the net about that mod) or I would go with a ducati or triumph wheel as the car wheel is not so easy to setup correctly.
avatar
griz
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1928
Male Age : 47
Location : Cheddar
My bike(s) : 93 Blade Streetfighter & a 96 Engineless Blade, soon to become 1 & a 95 GPZ1100 Grand tourer which is looking for a new home! lol
Registration date : 2007-08-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by rapid777 on Sun 25 Oct 2009, 23:12

avatar
rapid777
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 463
Male Age : 39
Location : norway
My bike(s) : HONDA SC28
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by Guest on Sun 25 Oct 2009, 23:25

I'd be interested in that set up mate. I bought a VFR 750 wheel and arm and was told I couldn't use the arm on my blade because the lower linkage attached by two small castings instead of the usual one. My Blade shock doesn't have a forked end ? Does this set up work ok? Any chance of some piccies?
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by rapid777 on Sun 25 Oct 2009, 23:31

hi tomtom,,here u go,,,,something like this???? i don't think someone have done this yet? but i would tried it out if i was you!!??
avatar
rapid777
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 463
Male Age : 39
Location : norway
My bike(s) : HONDA SC28
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by tomtom on Tue 27 Oct 2009, 22:48

Thanks Rapid777,thats excellent mate.Bike wont be getting stripped for another month or so but will let you know how i get on.Thanks again.

tomtom
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 15
Male Age : 50
Location : Dundee
My bike(s) : Streetfightered 99 blade
Registration date : 2009-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by danidge on Thu 29 Oct 2009, 20:03

griz wrote:
Hiya danidge, there are a number of different options using the 94-97 swingarm, you could go with a car wheel using the original hub, all you need to do is buy some longer thicker studs, drill out the stud holes slightly wider to take the new studs & then fit the correct width spacer to make the car wheel line up.

Or you can take out the vfr eccentric hub & fit a Ducati one if you want to go with a ducati wheel or even fit a triumph eccentric hub & use the triumph wheel.

I''m not 100% sure which hubs will fit but there is some info regarding this mod online just do a google search & if you want some more info on the car wheel conversion drop me a PM

Speaking on experience I would either go with a vfr800 wheel, you just need to grind down a few points on the wheel to make it fit up onto the 94-97 hub (again lots of info on the net about that mod) or I would go with a ducati or triumph wheel as the car wheel is not so easy to setup correctly.

so what your saying is the best settup is to get a 94-97 750 arm and fit a vfr 800 wheel? grind down the wheel and get a spacer made then your good to go? any specific year 800 wheel? and also what size tyre would go on the wheel? I bet you love all of these questions Razz its your fault for having all of the usefull knowledge Wink
avatar
danidge
MotoGP Rider

Number of posts : 913
Male Age : 27
Location : felixstowe
My bike(s) : cbr900rr urban tiger - sold now have an awesome RR4
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by griz on Thu 29 Oct 2009, 21:24

danidge wrote:
griz wrote:
Hiya danidge, there are a number of different options using the 94-97 swingarm, you could go with a car wheel using the original hub, all you need to do is buy some longer thicker studs, drill out the stud holes slightly wider to take the new studs & then fit the correct width spacer to make the car wheel line up.

Or you can take out the vfr eccentric hub & fit a Ducati one if you want to go with a ducati wheel or even fit a triumph eccentric hub & use the triumph wheel.

I''m not 100% sure which hubs will fit but there is some info regarding this mod online just do a google search & if you want some more info on the car wheel conversion drop me a PM

Speaking on experience I would either go with a vfr800 wheel, you just need to grind down a few points on the wheel to make it fit up onto the 94-97 hub (again lots of info on the net about that mod) or I would go with a ducati or triumph wheel as the car wheel is not so easy to setup correctly.

so what your saying is the best settup is to get a 94-97 750 arm and fit a vfr 800 wheel? grind down the wheel and get a spacer made then your good to go? any specific year 800 wheel? and also what size tyre would go on the wheel? I bet you love all of these questions its your fault for having all of the usefull knowledge

No problem mate, for easy of understanding here's a link showing how it's done, you can use a 180 tyre of the later vfr wheels

http://www.tireqwik.com/sssa/menu.html
avatar
griz
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1928
Male Age : 47
Location : Cheddar
My bike(s) : 93 Blade Streetfighter & a 96 Engineless Blade, soon to become 1 & a 95 GPZ1100 Grand tourer which is looking for a new home! lol
Registration date : 2007-08-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by rapid777 on Mon 02 Nov 2009, 17:37

hi tom tom,,i found a image of a custom machined triangle,,look pic nr 15 http://www.strassenkrieger.eu/sk_cms/front_content.php?idcat=79&idart=253
avatar
rapid777
BSB Racer

Number of posts : 463
Male Age : 39
Location : norway
My bike(s) : HONDA SC28
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Back to top Go down

Single siders

Post by Guest on Mon 02 Nov 2009, 18:11

I am interested in this too mate. Which is the arm with the two casting pivots instead of the usual single wide casting? Can I still use a standard Fireblade shock with this arm and triangle?
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by tomtom on Mon 02 Nov 2009, 19:53

Thanks for that info mate,that looks like a pretty neat and relatively simple solution.

tomtom
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 15
Male Age : 50
Location : Dundee
My bike(s) : Streetfightered 99 blade
Registration date : 2009-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by danidge on Tue 03 Nov 2009, 07:57

dosent the stock triangle work??
i thought it was just a case of boltong the arm on to a 95 blade!
avatar
danidge
MotoGP Rider

Number of posts : 913
Male Age : 27
Location : felixstowe
My bike(s) : cbr900rr urban tiger - sold now have an awesome RR4
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by radiobloke on Tue 03 Nov 2009, 12:18

yep....my blade and bird have used the standard bits...just a spacer...no idea what all this fuss is about tbh
avatar
radiobloke
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1113
Male Age : 48
Location : Nottingun
My bike(s) : Spondon Turbo Fireblade, CB1300, 1200 BigBird
Registration date : 2008-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by CBRRRT on Sat 19 Dec 2009, 22:13

Check out my pdf. files on the link below for sssa and car wheel conversion info.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/ASF_howto.asp

regards,

CBRRRT.
avatar
CBRRRT
Trackday Novice

Number of posts : 143
Male Age : 56
Location : Harwich
My bike(s) : 1996 Fireblade
Registration date : 2009-12-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Single sided swing arms

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum