www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.
www.firebladeriders.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ron haslom race school

3 posters

Go down

ron haslom race school Empty ron haslom race school

Post by shrek72 Mon 21 Apr 2014, 21:17

Any one been to rocket rons race school at Donnington park as im booked in may 19th doing the 600 class .
shrek72
shrek72
CBT Novice

Number of posts : 35
Male Age : 51
My bike(s) : 929 blade. c15 bsa bantom
Registration date : 2014-04-16

Back to top Go down

ron haslom race school Empty Re: ron haslom race school

Post by Iggy Tue 22 Apr 2014, 00:18

Quite a few here have, all good reports, sure they'll be along shortly to fill ya in.
Iggy
Iggy
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2007-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by JT Tue 22 Apr 2014, 06:27

Now then Shrek

Done it twice in the on the 600's plus track days on my R1 and XJR. Take your own gear, helmet, leathers, boots, gloves etc so you are comfortable at once and not fidgeting and uncomfortable in foreign gear and a stinky lid. You get 2 to 1 tuition on and off the track with the same instructor. Listen to him, do what he tells you and you'll have a great time. You get three sessions, approx 15-20 mins each session with a chat in between to see how you are doin and if you have any areas you want him to focus on. Do you know the track ? If not, go on a playstation or x-box or computer game and learn it 'back to front', that'll save you learning the track when you get there. 

A couple of tips from my perspective; The first corner is Redgate, turn in late, much later than you think when goin into the corner otherwise you will have to back off and loose loadsa time or end up in the gravel. Late apex and power through. keep the power on through Hollywood and down Craner Curves, down one gear for the old hairpin, you can go through there faster than you might think. Under Starkies Bridge full throttle and drift out to the right then pull her back in to the middle of the track as you go through the left hander, Schwantz Curve. As you tip in for Mcleans, keep it inches from the curb on the right because it's bumpy about a foot from the curve and can unnerve a newbie. Coppice is a blind entry. Wait till you see the curb appear on your left and then turn in. Get back on the power straight away, it's a fast open corner once you realise it and you need as much speed as possible so you don't loose out down the Dunlop Straight. If you're doin the GP track, you'll go through the Fogarty Esses then over the hill to the Melbourne Hairpin. Turn in and keep tight to the curb all the way round, drift out then pull back over to the right for Goddards. Keep tight to this curb on the left too and power down the straight. 

It's a class track that makes you feel like a riding God if you get it right. Enjoy it Mate  thumbup
JT
JT
MotoGP Legend

Number of posts : 1589
Male Age : 59
My bike(s) : 01 Yamaha XJR1300SP
Registration date : 2010-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:09

Talk to yourself out loud inside your helmet; this keeps you breathing.

Force yourself to relax your shoulders DOWN, otherwise you may get tense, tighten up, not feel the handlebars feeding back to you, and you'll have a pounding headache after two laps lol

They should explain to you the importance of relaxing on the bike, because when you are, the bike is at ease, and everything will flow much better. Donington flows really nice when you chill out and relax. Don't worry about speed too much, focus on the turns and where you want to bike to be on the exit, once you get the hang of the the bike pretty much will be where it should be for the next turn, and so on.

I'd say one main thing about school days; don't expect to come away brilliant. You WILL come away with more insight and confidence, and then it's down to you to take what you learned with you, so with that in mind, try to book another couple of track days pretty soon afterwards, otherwise what you learned, what you experienced and what you noted mentally in your head will start to fade.

I guess the main thing about riding quick on a track is being relaxed by breathing as normal as you can, don't get excited (yeah I know lol), be repetitive on your gears, turns, body positioning, and do them as often as you can.

Practice makes perfect.

IF YOU HAVENT DONE AY TRACKDAYS, MAYBE CONSIDER THIS BELOW- I SENT IT TO A FRIEND A FEW YEARS AGO AND IT REALLY HELPED.
It's not written in stone, but you'll get the idea.
Put it this way; you can do a trackday on of two ways basically.

Show up, think you know it all, go out and rev the tits off your bike and get away with it because the bike has saved you and go home thinking you're fooking awesome.
Or....
This way (below) and over the next year or two, see how fast you really become.
I know which one I did, and I am so glad I took the 'book worm' approach.

What you can do, is get used to this drill they're (the race school) exposing you to, and this is basically what I have done over the years....

1) Pick two turns to work on.
    Have a little simple line drawing of the track, notebook or whatever.
    When you start to get used to the layout, make some simple notes on the map; have a scheme that makes sense to you. I use red for gear numbers for entry and exit. I use blue letters for Bf-braking front and Br-braking rear. Tn-throttle on, Tf-throttle off etc.

2) Go out with this plan for these TWO turns in mind, forget the others, just ride around, set up for the first turn you're working on and execute your plan. Make basic mental notes as you go along. Maybe you need to change your gear number or braking point(s), or the suspension needs altering to settle bke more for that turn. I know this may seem hard on a trackday but it's actually very achievable.

3) Come back in, don't stand there bullshitting to your mates about how this guy cut you up and you saw him off blah blah blah. Settle yourself, get your lid and gloves off, unzip leathers, take a drink and then settle the bike with refuel, tyre warmers or whatever.
If anyone starts jaw flapping to you, tell them to fook off, you're busy lol
Now that you're settled, go back round the track in your mind's eye. ALL those mental notes you made WILL come back to you, in an ordered sequence, write them down or alter your little map notes.
Once you've got it all down on paper... STOP.
Tweak the bike as per your notes.
Go for a pee or a dump, ignore jaw flappers.
Come back to your little bubble where you are Rossi,.
You've now been out on track with a plan, executed it, made observations, came back in, recorded the observations and altered your plan and bike accordingly for the next session with a view to improve on your previous outing.
Decide NOW if you're happy with those two turns or you need to work a bit more on them and if so what key points you're focusing on in the next session.
If you're going on to tow new turns, then make the plan as above  in 1).

NOW you can go and swap stories with your mates.
I bet you find they're all talked out.
They're there for the adrenaline, the bravado and sometimes some are there to just plain old ego-boost.

YOU are basically doing what professional racers do, it's just that you're the manager, the data logger, the mechanic and the head guru all in one lol

As that track day unfolds, and YOU pace yourself, you'll find that after lunchtime, you're pretty fresh, you're very well dialled in to the whole circuit and you have a good flowing plan for the whole lap.

The others? Well if they haven't already crashed their bikes and/or been carted off to the med centre, they may be pretty bloody knackered as they gave it too much in the morning. They'll be tired, sweaty and prone to mistakes.

This is where your day's fun really begins, if you feel good enough now, you can put the notebook away as the number of laps you have done in the morning have imprinted your paper notes into your head. You'll find the whole lap flows without you having to concentrate on it as you have now formed habits for each turn.

The track is yours for the taking lol
Iggy
Iggy
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by shrek72 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 14:41

Thanks iggy that is the best sound advise ive had for years.
Ive never thort of doing a track day as I dont wont some eggo twat taking me out .thats why I thort about rons school.
shrek72
shrek72
CBT Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Tue 22 Apr 2014, 14:54

Aw, thanks lol
I know lots of people think that, they eventually bite the bullet, do a trackday and wonder why they ever worried.

Yes there are some twats on most trackdays, but virtually 99% of the riders are really good people, passionate about honing around turns BUT with great respect for each other's safety, that's YOU lol

Nobody wants to get hurt or bend their machine.

I think 100% of the members here would say, 'just do 1. That's all. And I guarantee you'll be hooked. You'll have nothing but great experiences, and the grin lasts for days after you've done one, whether your very first, or you two hundredth and first!'

See how you get on at Ron's, but don't expect tonnes of track time.
As I said, the school gives you the bread n butter to be getting on with but you do need to get some trackday time to prove to yourself how good the techniques are they'll show you.

Yes, it does benefit road riding too I guess, but that's where different peoples' view differ, and I'm one of those people that is adamant that for road riding, a race track is only good for demonstrating and then trying a few things like counter steering, hard front-only braking so you can see truly how deep you can brake into a turn without the front end folding, and of course lean angles.
The rest, do it on a road riding course on the road lol

Go for it! While you're waiting for Ron's date to come up, hunt around and book a track day at Donington with maybe Focused Events.

We all know it's pricey to do a track day but so are most of the great things in life lol

If you decide to do one at Donny, give me some notice, I'll pop over and be your spanner monkey and towel boy.
There won't be lots of 'do this, do that, I know this and that' bollocks.
I'd simply be there for ya, do your petrol and clean visor etc, to give you 'me time' to sit in silence and ponder the wondrous sensations whizzing through your body and head ! ! !
Iggy
Iggy
MotoGP Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by shrek72 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 17:11

Thanks iggy il defo call on your service . Im going to the TT then il do a track day after . Thanks for your sound advice.
shrek72
shrek72
CBT Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Tue 22 Apr 2014, 18:47

Yay!!!

Just passing on what others told me.