www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.firebladeriders.org
Firebladeriders Forum
Welcome To The Firebladeriders Forum. Everyone is welcome to join in the banter. Feel free to Register an account. We look forward to your input.
www.firebladeriders.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the mk1/mk2

2 posters

Go down

Problem solved! the mk1/mk2

Post by jmacdwlr Sun 13 Apr 2014, 16:26

Hi all some may have seen the last little custom one which I built
[img]the mk1/mk2 IMG_1838[/img]
and then slid off the pyrenees a week later, couldnt face anymore on it when I got back so it had sat in the garage feeling sorry for itself (much like the owner for a couple of months). Then truelly humbled by the work of art that our LC is building at the moment I thought about chucking it in and buying myself a new one. however even with the problems I had coming off it I loved the riding style and setup so I decided to do a slightly better version as my permanent bike for 2015. At the same time I still need one this year so I brought the mk1 out stripped the panels off to fully see the damage then:
took the panels in for fix/paint
Finally took off the front fairing bracket that had been brutealy bodged for the trip and did it properly I was very happy with the result and I can also now put an ignition on which is always a bonus
[img]the mk1/mk2 20140413_131212[/img][img]the mk1/mk2 20140413_131219[/img][img]the mk1/mk2 20140413_131229[/img]
came across the problem with cheap import rearsets is the replacement pegs so took them in and had some new ones made at local engineers
decided I loved the exhaust system off the mk1 so removed that ready for the mk2
got drunk and brought another CBR900 just because I liked the GP exhaust on it and wanted it for mine (nice bike so left it alone anyway)
[img]the mk1/mk2 20140413_130128[/img][img]the mk1/mk2 IMG_2188[/img]
got sober and found myself a nice harris subframe/plastics/twin underseats
while searching ebay I made some decisions on the mk2 and decided to go for the 2004 RSV R front ohlins forks and yoke which I came across at the right money so part one down
had the harris setup delivered and out of laziness took it to the engineers to have them make a battery box and mountings as they were not included for reg/rec,cdi etc
[img]the mk1/mk2 20140413_131303[/img][img]the mk1/mk2 IMG_2299[/img]
Fitted the Harris rear end just to see how she looks and brought her home
[img]the mk1/mk2 IMG_2317[/img]
Found some matching brembo mono block calipers to go with the RSV front end so getting there
A few pounds down got it the harris setup back along with some a new set of renthal bars
went up the garage to fit harris setup and renthals and in my infinate wisdom decided I was no longer happy with the tatty powder coat and stripped the bike down completely a few weeks before summer (always a bright idea)
[img]the mk1/mk2 Photo1[/img]
found a nice CB1000 (2012) rear swing arm/wheel/caliper and shock for the mk2 at the right money so decided on that way just need front matching wheel now
did some research and found a place called wilkinsons powder coating in nantwich which seemed to offer a good service and range of colours (even if a little pricey and three week waiting time) so thought I would try the mk1 parts out there and if any good I will take the mk2 there also I went for Red explosion on the frame/subframe/swing arm and candy red for the wheels fingers crossed
[img]the mk1/mk2 Canred[/img][img]the mk1/mk2 Redex[/img]
got myself a new frame for the mk2 and at ridiculous expense as I could only find one available a CB1000 front wheel and as if I had not set myself enough of a task decided to start some of the mods for the mk2 as I couldnt go any further with the mk1 for a couple of weeks
back down to the friendly engineers and the first task was machining up a new spindle and spacers to fit the CB1000 wheel into the RSV forks this was a pretty easy job thankfully while doing this I ordered a set of discs off the bay of fleas thankfully they are the same diameter as the RSV ones so just went with CB1000 discs
[img]the mk1/mk2 IMG_2313[/img]
fitted these all on and unfortunatly didnt sit anywhere near center (yes I knew they prob wouldnt but a man can hope) so thankfully the brembo calipers and chunky beasts and after a shave down of 2.148mm all was right with the world and centered beautifully
next was the spindle the decision weather to pop an old spindle out and press in a new one or make a new spindle as the RSV is a monster and far to wide decided to press out the spindle of an old RRY yoke I had in the garage and make a new bush and get that pressed in only a few hours and all done and sitting pretty
[img]the mk1/mk2 IMG_2315[/img]
next was to make a bush for the top yoke as again the RRY was far narrower this took us about 3 hours to get it sat right in there
[img]the mk1/mk2 IMG_2316[/img]
at this point finances and time ran out so brought the bits and bobs back to my place and thought I would get it mocked up see how I like it instant problems!!
While making the top bush for the yoke I had not taken into account the two lock nuts to go on the top (yes I know stupid) and the top yoke is a good 8mm to high to get a proper thread on it
[img]the mk1/mk2 20140413_124646[/img]
I was hoping the shock would not be to far off with the swing arm but unless I want to turn this into a BMW GS it sits far to high but on the plus side this was planned as a long term project and at least I have seen this before paying to have the frame and swing arm altered
[img]the mk1/mk2 20140413_130021[/img]
to cheer myself up I went ebay shopping and managed to find myself a nice custom front nosecone already made for the CBR900 which will save me weeks (this was one of the biggest headaches with the mk1)
[img]the mk1/mk2 20140413_130144[/img]
Well that was me uptil this morning I have been meaning to add notes on here over the last month but only just got around to it hence the lack of pictures thought I would get the text in and add pics after
jmacdwlr
jmacdwlr
Trackday Novice

Number of posts : 119
Male Age : 45
My bike(s) : 1998 RRW
Registration date : 2011-04-04

Back to top Go down

Problem solved! Re: the mk1/mk2

Post by jmacdwlr Mon 05 May 2014, 08:44

well got a little more done on the mk1 this weekend firstly thank you to mick858 ref the powder coating I shopped around a little more this time and found someone who does all the masking. Have to say I used wilkinsons and would highly reccommend for anyone midlands area did a great job. frame, swing arm and subframe like this:
[img]the mk1/mk2 20140418_091214[/img]
Paint also came back which is not to bad although painter did forget the mudguard which I have to pick up tomorrow now:
[img]the mk1/mk2 20140419_103830[/img]
Then came the search for a rear light which I couldnt find a nice universal one for love nor money but ended up going with these strange ones not to everyones taste but was short on time and they will do the job. Sods law the thread wasnt big enough so had to take away a little of the inside and plusgold the tops into place but came out ok now for the wiring:
[img]the mk1/mk2 20140503_155315[/img]
A bit of tidying and a decent connector (which I have found invaluble there is only so many bullet connectors you can use):
[img]the mk1/mk2 20140503_182613[/img]
Next was a pain when run in properly the box created for the battery/reg/cdi/solenoid was to far away so most of the rear loom had to be chopped out and lengthened carefully and slowly but all done and tidied up nicely. Then after a check over and tighten up as you go its time to start putting the plastics on and testing those rear lights which I didnt have much faith in being bright enough but I was surprised tail light:
[img]the mk1/mk2 20140503_192851[/img]
Brake lights:
[img]the mk1/mk2 20140503_192937[/img]
last but not least indicators:
[img]the mk1/mk2 20140503_192939[/img]
They came out much better than expected I will probably try and add another set of indicators to the plate as you can never have enough with those but a nice start then the front plastics on and I think she is not looking bad:
[img]the mk1/mk2 20140503_192501[/img]
[img]the mk1/mk2 20140503_192437[/img]
So going to try and make a new number plate bracket for this and get the rear plastics attached properly today but she is getting there.
jmacdwlr
jmacdwlr
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by pauleves Mon 05 May 2014, 13:58

whistle  you like red then I take it  scratch
pauleves
pauleves
Superstock Racer

Number of posts : 238
Male Age : 63
My bike(s) : 2002 - 954
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jmacdwlr Mon 05 May 2014, 15:04

Actually 50/50 it was ment to be black with red highlights but got list in translation but happy enough as a temporary bike
jmacdwlr
jmacdwlr
Trackday Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down